This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

smh343

Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
My opinion based on my experiences this cycle: There are some PDs who care but it seems LORs matter way more than clerkship grades, so make sure you get strong ones. You’ll find when filling out ERAS there is so much information put on the app that clerkship grades tend to get ignored unless there is a strong pattern (all pass, or all honors with AOA). You sound like you have a very strong app even for top programs so just try to get honors in other rotations and make other parts of your app strong.

Reactions: 1 users
What's the point of going to a top peds program

The same point of going to a top program in any specialty. Connections, research and fellowship opportunities, pride in the name, want to work there eventually, etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
You’ll find when filling out ERAS there is so much information put on the app that clerkship grades tend to get ignored unless there is a strong pattern
Like what? There are clerkship grades, board scores, research, and letters. what else is there? Clubs?

Reactions: 1 user
Like what? There are clerkship grades, board scores, research, and letters. what else is there? Clubs?

At least what matters to the PDs who have been surveyed (2020 PD NRMP survey)

Attachments

• 25412D72-C8AB-41A2-95D4-6F4E6F24A2AD.jpeg
    25412D72-C8AB-41A2-95D4-6F4E6F24A2AD.jpeg
    378.8 KB · Views: 114
Reactions: 2 users
At least what matters to the PDs who have been surveyed (2020 PD NRMP survey)
Well, according to your own source it says that 76% care about your clerkship grades. Seems like a significant proportion.

Well, according to your own source it says that 76% care about your clerkship grades. Seems like a significant proportion.

Definitely rated highly but that doesn’t tell us if they care about H vs HP, both respectable grades. Also OP sounds like they only care about top programs, which may have different priorities compared to the average program.

Definitely rated highly but that doesn’t tell us if they care about H vs HP, both respectable grades.
Thats true, but then again you are the one that linked that source.

Thats true, but then again you are the one that linked that source.

Oh I wasn’t trying to directly answer OP, I was answering your question about what the other information is.

I’m curious, do PD surveys always have such small sample sizes? N = 38 here.

So I'm an M3 interested in the top Peds programs.

Does your exact clinical grade for Peds matter (HP vs H)? I can't imagine clerkship directors take these very seriously right? I happened to get by far the hardest sites for all three of my placements, and two of the preceptors give straight 3/5s in their evals for everyone. And we had some online sessions with low grades for my group from our preceptor because "it's difficult to evaluate students virtually." One of my classmates not interested in Peds got preceptors who apparently give everybody 5/5s. Did really well on shelf, but there's no possible way to get honors with my placements.

Also does class rank quartile matter? I constantly fluctuate between 1st and 3rd quartile because everyone in our class gets about the same grades on things and there's no separation and it feels random where I'll end up. Getting a B in a single course has at least one time shifted me down two quartiles. Should I worry about it?

I've worked to get 260s Step 1, several pubs/presentations with a top children's hospital. Do these grades outside of my control affect my future that much? Not trying to complain, just trying to set realistic expectations depending on how things turn out.

Thanks! for any input!

I'm not in the "Peds" world, but I don't think I have to be to answer some of these questions.

1.) I can tell you that HP and H can be a difference maker across any field. Unfortunately the grading scheme is unfair and what you describe is the story of every M3s life. Schools try to balance this out by putting a percent breakdown of students with Honors, High Pass, Pass, etc. each year in the Medical School Performance Evaluation so that programs have some perspective. In your situation, if your description of the process is accurate, there would be a very low honors percentage so programs may understand why you didn't get the H when (for example) the MSPE says 3% of students got honors, 18% got high pass, and 79% got pass.

2.) Class Rank also matters to some extent across any field and emphasis on it will be program dependent.

What I can't tell you that if 260s, HP in Peds, presumably good clerkship performance, and great publications will land you at a top Peds program. I speculate you're a very competitive applicant but that's only someone involved in peds residency recruitment would know for sure. Also, would help to know what kind of medical school you went to because reputation unfortunately matters too.

Reactions: 2 users
I'm surprised clinical grades and H vs HP continue to matter even when there's a few schools strictly using P/F clinical grading.

Then again, AOA matters and several schools don't even have AOA

I'm surprised clinical grades and H vs HP continue to matter even when there's a few schools strictly using P/F clinical grading.

Then again, AOA matters and several schools don't even have AOA

I obviously only went to one medical school and don't have a birds-eye view or insiders view on this. I would speculate based on what I have heard that almost all schools do P/F for M1/M2. The difference is whether it's true P/F on the MSPE or whether there's some internal ranking. For the M3 year I would imagine most places still utilize gradation (H, HP, P, etc.) because clinical performance is presumably what residencies care about. I would imagine the places that could afford to not do that are schools where the brand speaks for itself.

It is highly variable what application aspects are valuable versus not on the individual institution level. The only aspect actually under your control with regards to you being granted an interview at a "top institution" is to submit an application or not, and given your expressed interest, I would suggest this be your approach.

• Haha
I guess I'm just complaining now, but this is kind of my fear. Several previous students this year here said they got honors "without even trying" because their preceptors gave all 5/5s. I happened to get one who is known to give all 3/5s which dropped me below the 90% overall needed, but lots of other people did get Honors. So I find that unfortunate that it is considered seriously by PDs at all, but I guess I can't do anything about it. Thanks for your response.

OP cream like you will come to the top eventually. Be resilient. I also think you'll match top peds regardless but best ask someone in peds residency recruitment.