Does Hopkins accept Ph.D. Students?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JollyCamper

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if Hopkins accepts students in Ph.D. programs before they graduate?
I'm currently a doctoral candidate with an anticipated graduation date of May 2003. I would like to apply to Hopkins Med for the Fall 2003. Would this be possible? Could I apply this year 2002, before having graduated? Or do I have to wait until I graduate to apply?
I've heard a lot of different oppinions on other threads regarding the position medical schools have towards graduate students. The opinions seemed to vary perhaps according to school or degree speciality. I was wondering what the position is with Hopkins. Thanks!

JollyCamper :)

Members don't see this ad.

There is a student in my class at Hopkins who was awarded his Ph.D. in the spring of first year... but he did get his Ph.D. from Hopkins. If you're pretty certain that you'll graduate in 5/03, I'd go ahead and apply... you'll certainly have the opportunity to clear up any issues at your interview.

Good luck!

doepug
(MS II, Hopkins)

Thanks doepug! That's reassuring, even if he did receive his Ph.D. from Hopkins. I'm pretty sure I'll be done by 5/03. I also thought of providing a letter from my mentor to verify that.

JollyCamper :)

Members don't see this ad :)
i would do the letter from teh mentor thing about your PhD graduation date. if you are not able to graduate in time (research is unreliable) then get a terminal masters.

Re: above post - do not settle for a Master's after years of a PhD program if you're already so close. You will regret it later and it doesn't look so good on a CV. Talk to your PI, let him/her know that you're planning on going to medical school and work out the rest of your project so that you can get out in time. Let the schools know in your AMCAS personal statement that you plan to graduate. Asking your PI to note that in rec letters is also a good idea.

Andrew