does hospital rotation count as volunteering?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dctodo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hello!
im applying to DO schools for the 2014 cycle and so far have about 400 unpaid hours of treating patients with chiropractic in a hospital and private primary care clinic setting. i was involved in taking the history, diagnosing, and administering treatment. However, this was part of my chiropractic school curriculum where we were selected based on interviews and our CV to go to these various clinical settings.

my question is....would this clinical experience count as volunteering since it was unpaid. I'm concerned because I dont have any real hospital or nonmedical volunteering experiwnce to put down on my apps.

If I were to start volunteering at a nursing home now...would it look bad (i.e. like im only doing it for my application's sake to admissions..or should I just do it anyway since some volunteering is better than none). Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

Since this was an aspect of your curriculum, you didn't volunteer your time. Therefore I'm going to go with NO to the volunteer distinction. However, it is still clinical experience and you should certainly include it in the appropriate area of applications.

thanks for your answer! so then should i do some volunteering at a local nursing home..even if it will only total to less than 40 hours by the time i submit my apps in june?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes. I added a few hours volunteering in an urgent care clinic (only like 20 something hours) and it was discussed at all my interviews.

I don't think they will scrutinize your hours (just note that you volunteered) and it gives you/ your interviewers another talking point. Think of it this way... it can only help. If you have the free time, go for it but I doubt it will make or break an app.

If you already have that much time in clinical experience, volunteer in the community, not the clinic.

If you already have that much time in clinical experience, volunteer in the community, not the clinic.

That's pretty good advice. Do what you're passionate about, and if that's nursing homes them go for it, but you could also use this time to get into something new.

No, it's not volunteering because you HAD to do it. It certainly does count for patient contact experience.

So, for volunteering sake, to show your altruism, do something very different. EMT? Habitat for Humanity? Nursing Homes? Be a Big Borther/Sister?

hello!
im applying to DO schools for the 2014 cycle and so far have about 400 unpaid hours of treating patients with chiropractic in a hospital and private primary care clinic setting. i was involved in taking the history, diagnosing, and administering treatment. However, this was part of my chiropractic school curriculum where we were selected based on interviews and our CV to go to these various clinical settings.

my question is....would this clinical experience count as volunteering since it was unpaid. I'm concerned because I dont have any real hospital or nonmedical volunteering experiwnce to put down on my apps.

If I were to start volunteering at a nursing home now...would it look bad (i.e. like im only doing it for my application's sake to admissions..or should I just do it anyway since some volunteering is better than none). Thanks!!

Since this was an aspect of your curriculum, you didn't volunteer your time. Therefore I'm going to go with NO to the volunteer distinction. However, it is still clinical experience and you should certainly include it in the appropriate area of applications.

:thumbup:

Not volunteering but pretty important to include nevertheless.

I've contacted a few nursing homes and am waiting to hear back from them. I also came across a volunteering opportunity as a dogwalker at an animal shelter.

Does dogwalking count as volunteering on my apps or should I look for other opportunities that involve helping people?

Thanks everyone!

Last edited: