Does HPSP limit which schools you can attend?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

carocasey

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I can't answer your question about Pacific. But I do know that HPSP will not limit you to any school in any way. Go where you want. I would suggest doing HPSP if you go to a private or out-of-state school or do the Navy's HSCP if you stay at your in-state school.

I'm from Texas and applying to the Texas schools, but I'm also applying to some private and public schools out-of-state, such as Columbia (I did part of my undergrad here) and UoP. I'm really interested in HPSP because I come from a military family and think it is something I would enjoy doing, but if I am accepted, will the Navy or Air Force pay for me to go to an out-of-state (more expensive) school if I am also accepted in Texas?

Any accredited US dental school qualifies.

[/quote]And how does it work if I go to UoP? It seems unrealistic to expect the military to pay the equivalent of four years' tuition in exchange for three years' service. Is one obligated to pay back four years after three years of d-school?[/quote]

It's a hard three years. You will be obligated to 3 year active service and 5 IRR years.

Members don't see this ad :)
Any accredited US dental school qualifies.
And how does it work if I go to UoP? It seems unrealistic to expect the military to pay the equivalent of four years' tuition in exchange for three years' service. Is one obligated to pay back four years after three years of d-school?[/quote]

It's a hard three years. You will be obligated to 3 year active service and 5 IRR years.[/quote]

I am pretty sure that even though you only get 3 years paid for at UOP you do indeed own the Navy 4 years of service. If you accept the 20K bonus you definitely owe the Navy 4 years.

And how does it work if I go to UoP? It seems unrealistic to expect the military to pay the equivalent of four years' tuition in exchange for three years' service. Is one obligated to pay back four years after three years of d-school?

It's a hard three years. You will be obligated to 3 year active service and 5 IRR years.[/quote]

I am pretty sure that even though you only get 3 years paid for at UOP you do indeed own the Navy 4 years of service. If you accept the 20K bonus you definitely owe the Navy 4 years.[/quote]

I think there is technically 4 billing cycles of 9 months, which is how the military gets around UoP. I'm not positive about that though.

It's a hard three years. You will be obligated to 3 year active service and 5 IRR years.

I back what I said. See my signature if you don't believe it. PM me if you want to know more.

Last edited: