1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Does is matter where i got my undergrad from?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by ihindash, Dec 18, 2005.

1. ihindash

ihindash Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    When the adcom is going to decide on my application, would their decision be greatly influenced by what school I got my undergrad from? I attended a private university in Fort Lauderdale called AIU or American Intercontinental University, it's not as popular as a regular state university but I mean still, it's a very excellent school. Does it matter at all??? Someone please answer me thanx. :confused: :scared:

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. DiverDoc

DiverDoc KCUMB 2012
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    What matters is GPA and your MCAT > there are hundreds of posts about MCAT vs. GPA and how much weight something pulls. Worry about that and concentrate on getting good grades. Wherever that is from can be considered fairley insignificant. Assuming your not attempting to get into a top notch allo school. thats just my opinion

4. FS-Pro

FS-Pro Guest

Medical Student
    I don't think so, unless maybe you go to a top tier university. I attand a small state school that no one has EVER heard of and I had no problems at all.

5. dr.z

Physician 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I don't think its weighted too high. Solid GPA and MCAT will show that you are a good student.

6. mj1878

mj1878 Water good...
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    It'd be nice if it were so black and white, but take this into consideration:

Once you're IN an undergraduate school, the curriculum/difficulty of the prerequisite classes varies very little from school to school. However, the ADCOMS might take into consideration what it took to get INTO a certain institution, and then "prorate" your GPA appropriately. For example, a 3.7 at a small state university would impress them less than a 3.7 at Harvard or MIT. Why? Not necessarily because Organic Chemistry is EASY at the state institution, but because more prestigious undergraduate schools are more selective about their admissions processes than a small state school would be, and someone that had the ability to get into a Harvard or MIT is showing that their academic prowess has a long track record of excellence. However, that being said, I would venture to say that there is actually very little scrutiny of an applicants' undergraduate schools' prestige going on.

7. MikeyLu2010

MikeyLu2010 UT Longhorns Alumni
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Here in TX...the schools vary in difficulty like nite and day.. My brother transferred to UT-austin before last fall coming in with a 3.5 gpa at UT-san antonio...now he is happy to break a 2.75 gpa...and he is in the college of liberal arts..which isnt exactly the most challenging colleges....the gap between UH (university of houston) and UT-austin is even bigger..the TX med schools recognize this...and admit people accordingly.. I guess it depends on the state..

8. PurpleHaze

PurpleHaze Takin it day by day
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I don't think it matters what undergrad you went to as long as u made the most of your experience there. Get a good GPA and a solid MCAT.

9. HooahDOc

Physician 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I honestly don't know if it matters. I presume it would only matter if you actually did attend a top-tier university. I think it can help, but not hurt.

But yes, focus on your GPA and MCAT. Don't forget to grow up and have a little fun while you're at it.