Does it bother you that doctors will be the first to go...

rafflecopter

MS-0
10+ Year Member
Oct 18, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
...in the case of a zombie apocalypse? Patient enters the ER with a large bite on his arm, delirious, with a high fever. He codes, the code team resuscitates to no avail. He wakes up, code team is relieved, although he has no pulse. He proceeds to eat the code team. Boom. Apocalypse started.

tabascosauce

my temper short but my money long
7+ Year Member
May 24, 2010
Jan 5, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
youre looking at it the wrong way. endure! earn this!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U11skcccXlI&feature=player_embedded
I agree, while some people in the er will get killed quite quickly, medical staff will become extremely valuable. In the case of a zombie attack, the AMA should declare a strike, the government will have no choice but to give us more money!

And this is my 4/20 post :luck::luck::luck::luck:

Interestingly, whenever I smoke too much, I think deamonds with shotguns are coming, which is rather close to zombies....

OP
rafflecopter

rafflecopter

MS-0
10+ Year Member
Oct 18, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
I agree, while some people in the er will get killed quite quickly, medical staff will become extremely valuable. In the case of a zombie attack, the AMA should declare a strike, the government will have no choice but to give us more money!
True. I think the inherent problem is when a medical professional fails to adequately identify someone as the living dead. I mean seriously, do you think the blank stare, the moaning, the lack of a heartbeat, the smell, the craving of human flesh, and the incessant biting aren't good indicators?

Interestingly, whenever I smoke too much, I think deamonds with shotguns are coming, which is rather close to zombies....
Hmm, do deamonds need a headshot to kill them?

RogueUnicorn

rawr.
7+ Year Member
Jul 15, 2009
Status
Resident [Any Field]
doctors should be armed for this very reason.

KTownGT

RNA-->DNA-->RNA-->Protein
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 15, 2009
Texas
Status
Pre-Medical
Good thing I never leave the house without this:

Drrrrrr. Celty

Osteo Dullahan
7+ Year Member
Nov 10, 2009
Status
Medical Student
Gun's are loud, it'd attract a ton of zombies. Crossbows are that perfect mix of long distance protection and effectiveness. A katana is always nice too.

Avoidthetiger

roar
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 29, 2008
Status
Resident [Any Field]
hey -- the doctor survived against The Crazies. Not exactly zombies... but hell, I bet they are harder to defeat than zombies.... So it is possible.

DaisyBuchanan

Quinn Morgendorffer
7+ Year Member
May 7, 2010
Upper Left, USA
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I imagine all the pathologists would just be complaining about how much deceased tissue they have to investigate while the ED docs are getting their brains eaten left and right. :smuggrin:

KTownGT

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 15, 2009
Texas
Status
Pre-Medical

i perfer the above.
The zombie diseases are usually purported to be blood transmissible. If you want to get zombie AIDS, be my guest. :p

yeah, shotguns are great when you are close range, but what happens when you make it out to the parking lot and you have to clear some ground? this is why you need a solid kalishnikov. but wait, what happens when you run out of ammo? time to switch to the broadaxe.

be prepared, the moment of reckoning will soon be upon us.
Only a madman would try to cross distance with any type of weapon. This isn't left 4 dead(which is on my xmas list).

You'd hold up in the hospital until help arrived. The goverment would easily risk a few soldiers to save medical personell, which are already in short supply before the zombie revolution.

hey -- the doctor survived against The Crazies. Not exactly zombies... but hell, I bet they are harder to defeat than zombies.... So it is possible.
Doesn't the doctor and husband doom a major city at the end of the movie because they wouldn't lay down and die? :rolleyes:

Avoidthetiger

roar
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 29, 2008
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Doesn't the doctor and husband doom a major city at the end of the movie because they wouldn't lay down and die? :rolleyes:
shhhh. BUT that's just how awesome doctors are. I bet they survive that containment too. :)

BeachBlondie

Put some tussin on it!
10+ Year Member
Apr 27, 2008
Status
Medical Student
Psh. Clearly no Dead Rising fans in here. I'd battle with this:

BeachBlondie

Put some tussin on it!
10+ Year Member
Apr 27, 2008
Status
Medical Student
And, I was pumped to see that someone has actually created a thread about a topic I bring up ALL of the time.

Get some, OP! *knucks*

wolverinepwns

Si vis pacem, para bellum
7+ Year Member
May 9, 2010
Asgard
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I'll be making my rounds during the zombie break out with a more updated uniform:

Shaolin

Novice
Oct 5, 2010
IL
Status
Pre-Medical
Wasn't this a recent episode of Community?

Anyways, my weapon of choice...

Last edited:
OP
rafflecopter

rafflecopter

MS-0
10+ Year Member
Oct 18, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
1-2 episodes ago yes. They were cured by cold temperature :eek:. I guess you gotta move the zombies to Alaska
Nah then you just postpone your zombiepocalypse until spring when the snow melts. Best kill them rather then export them.

Now, time for a killer hypothetical question. A zombie comes into the hospital. You know its a zombie. Do you:
a) Grab the nearest sharp object and shove it through the zombies head, risking that the ignorant public will accuse you of murder

or

b) Let it try to eat someone and get a few bites in before doing answer (a), which would leave you off the hook but leave several more people doomed to die and become the undead?

wolverinepwns

Si vis pacem, para bellum
7+ Year Member
May 9, 2010
Asgard
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Nah then you just postpone your zombiepocalypse until spring when the snow melts. Best kill them rather then export them.

Now, time for a killer hypothetical question. A zombie comes into the hospital. You know its a zombie. Do you:
a) Grab the nearest sharp object and shove it through the zombies head, risking that the ignorant public will accuse you of murder

or

b) Let it try to eat someone and get a few bites in before doing answer (a), which would leave you off the hook but leave several more people doomed to die and become the undead?
I'd wait it out, that way I'd have more zombies to fight and be protected!

Venc

5+ Year Member
Aug 24, 2010
N/A
Status
Pre-Medical

or

I'll wait until it bites one person and then kill it. That way I'll have a sample "group" so I could see the symptoms and how long it last :D. Maybe poke :poke: at it a few times see what it happens

I'd wait it out, that way I'd have more zombies to fight and be protected!
Target practice ;)

Geekchick921

Achievement Unlocked: MD
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Nov 6, 2007
Status
Resident [Any Field]

i perfer the above.
Word. Does not need reloading. Of course you want something for long range, and some kind of AoE like grenades or small tanks of propane you can shoot. ;)

So, supposedly, human teeth cannot penetrate a wetsuit, and it is, therefore, the recommended attire for zombie fighting. Unless the zombies have some kind of crazy superbite, but I would thinking rotting muscle is less effective at exerting pressure than healthy, living tissue. Obviously you will want boots, gloves, a neckguard of some kind, as well as head and eye covering, to keep your extremeties protected and avoid exposure to any zombified bodily fluids.

I love watching my husband play Dead Rising... I cannot watch him play Left4Dead. I can't play zombie games myself. They scare me too much; my heart races for real.

Also, Zombieland was awesome.

Did you all see the cracked.com article about how much a zombie apocaplyse would fail? I can't decide if it made me feel better, or suspicious, like it was written by some kind of zombie supporter who is just trying to get us all off our guard... >.> <.<
http://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.cracked.com/article_18683_7-scientific-reasons-zombie-outbreak-would-fail-quickly.html&sa=U&ei=-53iTL-fOMPflged4PGhAw&ved=0CBMQFjAC&usg=AFQjCNFPZI0CWJpigRLdeKAWo5UCOzAzPw

crixx

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 5, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
I would hope that every hospital is equipped with a proper zombie evacuation and containment plan. But the surgeons might have better odds of surviving seeing as they are surrounded by sharp metal objects.

GTstormin

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 13, 2006
Texas
Status
Medical Student
Wow.. I'm so happy to see this thread. I thought about this sunday in fact, had to inform my friend while watching the walking dead that yes, it would be awesome if I got into med school monday (yes it happened!! :D) but it would also mean that I would be highly susceptible to being one of the first brains devoured. Luckily 'zombie' will always be in my differential...

OP
rafflecopter

rafflecopter

MS-0
10+ Year Member
Oct 18, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
Wow.. I'm so happy to see this thread. I thought about this sunday in fact, had to inform my friend while watching the walking dead that yes, it would be awesome if I got into med school monday (yes it happened!! :D) but it would also mean that I would be highly susceptible to being one of the first brains devoured. Luckily 'zombie' will always be in my differential...
Grats on the acceptance, and its good to know that another person will be on the lookout for the brain-eating type. It would be really unfortunate for all of the medical personnel to get eaten right away since they will likely be the key to solving it. Actually, forget trying to find a cure, we can't even cure AIDS. I'd suggest just plopping 2000 pounds of steak right outside of every major city to attract the zombies within, then carpet bombing the suckers.

Suenya

Hail Eris
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 2, 2008
Status
Non-Student
While we will be on the front lines, I think our training will be extraordinarily helpful for those of us that aren't unlucky enough to be near patient 0 to survive. Hell, that's why I'm in medical school to begin with.

gettheleadout

MS-4
Moderator Emeritus
7+ Year Member
Jun 23, 2010
Status
Medical Student
Word. Does not need reloading. Of course you want something for long range, and some kind of AoE like grenades or small tanks of propane you can shoot. ;)

So, supposedly, human teeth cannot penetrate a wetsuit, and it is, therefore, the recommended attire for zombie fighting. Unless the zombies have some kind of crazy superbite, but I would thinking rotting muscle is less effective at exerting pressure than healthy, living tissue. Obviously you will want boots, gloves, a neckguard of some kind, as well as head and eye covering, to keep your extremeties protected and avoid exposure to any zombified bodily fluids.

I love watching my husband play Dead Rising... I cannot watch him play Left4Dead. I can't play zombie games myself. They scare me too much; my heart races for real.

Did you all see the cracked.com article about how much a zombie apocaplyse would fail? I can't decide if it made me feel better, or suspicious, like it was written by some kind of zombie supporter who is just trying to get us all off our guard... >.> <.<
http://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.cracked.com/article_18683_7-scientific-reasons-zombie-outbreak-would-fail-quickly.html&sa=U&ei=-53iTL-fOMPflged4PGhAw&ved=0CBMQFjAC&usg=AFQjCNFPZI0CWJpigRLdeKAWo5UCOzAzPw
That is so awesome. And yes that Cracked article was pretty good haha

crixx

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 5, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
Hmmm I smell a movie in the making...

Scene: Zombie outbreak begins after little Suzie is given a new flu vaccine, becomes sick and is transported to the hospital. Disease spreads. A group of physicians, nurses and PA's form a coalition of zombie-killing healthcare workers and break out of the ravaged hospital. Then they take on the world.

seelee

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 17, 2008
Cleveland Heights, OH
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Hey, Welsh Allyn came to our school trying to sell us grenade launchers and pistol-grip pump shotguns, but everyone keeps saying that we don't need them in medical school and that we will spend the money only to use them once.

Some people said that those things are kept in every exam room, but I want to go on a medical mission, would it be worth the investment?

Not a Troll...

OP
rafflecopter

rafflecopter

MS-0
10+ Year Member
Oct 18, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
Hey, Welsh Allyn came to our school trying to sell us grenade launchers and pistol-grip pump shotguns, but everyone keeps saying that we don't need them in medical school and that we will spend the money only to use them once.

Some people said that those things are kept in every exam room, but I want to go on a medical mission, would it be worth the investment?

Not a Troll...
The answer is yes!!! You don't want to find yourself gunless, unprepared, and overseas in the case of a zombie apocalypse. You need firepower. Interesting business model though, stethoscopes and firearms...

KTownGT

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 15, 2009
Texas
Status
Pre-Medical

For avid divers, including myself, you would be hard pressed to wear a wetsuit in hot weather for more than a few minutes without sweltering. Hell, it gets very uncomfortable wearing a 3mm dive suit for 10 minutes while getting ready to dive.

That's not even counting getting close and hacking away with a sword.

Geekchick921

Achievement Unlocked: MD
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Nov 6, 2007
Status
Resident [Any Field]
For avid divers, including myself, you would be hard pressed to wear a wetsuit in hot weather for more than a few minutes without sweltering. Hell, it gets very uncomfortable wearing a 3mm dive suit for 10 minutes while getting ready to dive.

That's not even counting getting close and hacking away with a sword.
Yeah I know... but you know what's even more uncomfortable than a dive suit in the summer? Having your entrails pulled from your still-living body and devoured by a mob of the shambling undead.

teddy bear doc

Expert plush toy surgeon
5+ Year Member
Apr 18, 2009
Status
Medical Student
Yeah I know... but you know what's even more uncomfortable than a dive suit in the summer? Having your entrails pulled from your still-living body and devoured by a mob of the shambling undead.
LOL, thanks for making my day start off right!!!

My contribution: what about a 3/2 surf suit, not a dive suit? More flexibility and range of motion will allow for better katana wielding AND provide cushion in the shoulder when firing an assault rifle. They have quite a kick.

LuciusVorenus

Bad Medicine
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 14, 2009
Status
Medical Student

It's not so much the idea of zombies that scares me as much as it is the idea of "The Crazies" or "28 Days Later" and most of those things only apply to zombies :(

Jan 2, 2010
Reality, or so i think.
Status
It's not so much the idea of zombies that scares me as much as it is the idea of "The Crazies" or "28 Days Later" and most of those things only apply to zombies :(
dude totally. i actually lol at movies like resident evil and such, but movie with theme like 28 days later or rec really, really scares the crap out of me. tho the scientist inside of me really want to psychoanalyze this situation...

OP
rafflecopter

rafflecopter

MS-0
10+ Year Member
Oct 18, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
The real question is walk or run? Do zombies shamble along, or are they killer hunks of rotten flesh speeding to make you a hot lunch?

From a purely scientific perspective, I'd say with them having to battle muscle death and lacking the ability to oxygenate their cells they'd be hard pressed to be able to move at anything faster than a dead pace (get it?:laugh:).

Now lets discuss what weapons we can use to dispatch of these pesky undead (only including things that could naturally be found in a hospital).
I'm pretty sure I'd go for one of these bad boys taken from the morgue:

OP
rafflecopter

rafflecopter

MS-0
10+ Year Member
Oct 18, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
In other news, Zombieland is a really stupid movie.
Gonna actually have to go with Cole on this one. I didn't like the main character at all and I thought the narration was really stupid. Which sucks, because I really tried to like that movie. The Murray cameo was awesome though :thumbup:.