Does it do any good?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by galen, Nov 16, 2002.

1. galen

galen Senior Member

If someone is rejected by their only state school (pre-interview, post secondary) does it do any good to call & ask about an interview [stats MCAT --32 GPA -3.56] Telling them he lives in same town as med school and REALLY likes their school. Did anyone ever do this with success. Really bummed out as this was by far the first choice...:( :( :(

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. ::Seabass::

::Seabass:: bringing burkas back!

I guess it couldn't hurt to call. I understand though, I would feel dumb calling, but that is just me. I have ego issues.

4. Iron Horse

Iron Horse The luckiest man

Can't answer the question about calling to request an interview after being rejected, but if that fails...

Do not call to try and sway them by reminding them that you live in the same town -- not relevant nor new info. What I do strongly suggest is that you speak with the ad dir, or at least someone on the committee, to emphasize relevant reasons why their school is your top choice, and most importantly, determine why you did not merit an interview (per the committee). Ask for specific suggestions on how to improve/augment your app for the next cycle.

Stay positive.

5. DukeBluDevl02

DukeBluDevl02 Senior Member

What state are you from? That seems a little rough 32 MCAT and 3.5 GPA and not get accepted? Damn, I'm glad I'm not from your state.

6. DukeBluDevl02

Oh, and I like your screen name...that's the history major in me talking.

Why did it take so long for the Galen doctrine to be replaced? You know he was the physician to Marcus Aurelius, the emperor in the movie, Gladiator?

7. DALABROKA

DALABROKA Raider Hater

Resident [Any Field]
    After the fall of the Roman empire, people lost faith in scientific medicine because of the failure of physicians to deal with infectious disease. The strides that Galen made in the role of advancing medicine through the scientific method were lost. The forces controlling medicine became more religious in nature as monasteries, such as Monte Cassino, took over the role of storing, copying, and disseminating medical knowledge. Also, the strides that Galen had made in practicing human experimentation and dissection were stopped as a sacrilegious activity. This policy of forbidding the exploration of the anatomy and physiology of humans and animals caused the progression of medicine to be very slow. The pace in which medicine advanced did not pick up until the Renaissance period when men like Da Vinci, Vesalius, and Pare' proceeded with medical experimentation, in spite of what the church thought.

Cheers,

DALA

8. DukeBluDevl02

Ah, yes, but even late Renaissance physicians like Vesalius and Harvey operated on some Galenic principles...it's amazing how far we've come since the humoral theories!

Thanks for the insight! I love it!

9. laviddee

laviddee Senior Member

hey galen, good luck to you!

i'd ask tweetie what she's been doing- she's been rejected at some schools but has called or done something to get at least phone time with deans and stuff.

And especially if you're in the same town, i don't see why you couldn't make an appointment with him. Is your state school your top choice? would you go there and are you ready to make that kind of statement and commitment??

10. DALABROKA

DALABROKA Raider Hater

Resident [Any Field]
    Believe it or not, Benjamin Rush (1745-1813) practiced mass blood-lettings into the 19th century. He bled up to 150 people per day, was a member of the continental congress, and Surgeon General of the US. He was known as the prince of the blood-letters, but fortunately he was the last great blood-letter. However, bloodletting persisted well past his death, but never again at the rate in which he did it. Blood-letting, as well as mercury use, died out toward the end of the 19th century.
    Cheers,

DALA

11. Zoobaby

Zoobaby Monkey Wrench

President Zachary Taylor was bled a few times while he was dying in 1850 of mysterious causes. There has been speculation recently that he was poisoned, but when they exhumed his body and tested remaining tissues a few years ago, no conclusive evidence was found. It is now theorized that he died from bacteria in a bad glass of milk. The bleeding probably didn't help.

History majors rock! :)

12. The Mysterious Stranger

The Mysterious Stranger Senior Member

You should go for it regardless if it worked for anyone in the past. If it works for you and only you that's all that matters. The worst thing that could happen is that they say no and you stay rejected. You don't want to be one of those people who asks what if years later.

Good Luck!

13. Mutterkuchen

Mutterkuchen Senior Member

I agree with Mysterious Stranger. Just make sure you act professional and mature about the situation, since you do have something to lose, i.e. you might be reapplying next year.

14. jot

jot

completely forgot that he was a president- and some how i'm walking out of here with a history degree haha ;)

15. galen

galen Senior Member

Oregon-and yes it(OHSU) was my first choice by far. Wish Id have at least been granted an interview. ..Its tough when you have interviews from other schools but not from your own state. I really love this chool and am certainly ready to make that commitment(letter of intent)--Id do it right now if it were possible ....Thanx for the info re Galen --Im just really down now - I dont know why I didnt get an interview so dont know if it be any good to wait and apply next cycle & what to work on...
    I guess the motto is to expect the unexpected (?):(