Does it hurt more than the wallet to apply late?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DesertSeaDiver

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I've read this forum a lot, but this is my first post. I'm seeking advice on whether I should apply late this cycle or just wait until next year.

Currently, I am finishing my master's degree from a state school and my research thesis has taken much more time than I anticipated. Additionally, I still need to take the MCAT. I've taken a review course and my practice tests range in scores from 27-34. I've been eyeing the Sept. 18th date to take the test, get my scores back by Oct. 18ish and submit my application late. From reading around this forum, it seems the consensus is not to submit late and instead wait until next year.

However, at the moment, I am planning on submitting my application without my MCAT score as I am confident I can score well on the MCAT with 7 more weeks of study. So, isn't it worth it to throw my name into the hat and see what happens even if my full app won't be in until late Oct? I have a list of approx 20 schools to apply to all within the mid-tier range. Additionally, I was a research fellow last summer for my in state medical school which ended up spawning my master's thesis. After I complete this thesis, I'm lined up to work in a lab at the med school as well. That's my number one school.

My other stats are: uGPA 3.7 (identical for BCPM) from a well respected private school and a 4.0 gGPA for my masters. I decided to do the masters to see if I liked research, and ultimately I've decided it isn't for me in the long run. I don't mind continuing in research for the rest of this year, especially because it will hopefully give me more exposure to my in-state med school, but if I delay another year, I would likely end up doing research for 2 more years which would not be ideal to me.

My clinical experience isn't too extensive. I've volunteered ~60 hours in the surgery waiting room and I plan on starting to volunteer in the ER soon. I've shadowed two doctors (one ER and one primary) for ~20 hours. I intend to shadow more doctors, but it has been hard to find the time with my research commitments.

Let me know if you have any advice on why I shouldn't submit late this year.

Thank you for the help!

Members don't see this ad.

Definitely no. That is way too late to be comfortable with. Wait until next year. It's not like you have much of a choice: that clinical experience and shadowing need work.

Why would you HAVE to wait two more years if you can't apply this cycle?

Reactions: 1 user
Up the clinical, apply NOW or next year. If not in the next few days, next year. Up that clinical experience...destroy the mcat, you'll be a very competitive applicant.

Source: me, I applied late before, I know what I'm talking about. Save your $$$$$$$$$$$$ too

Members don't see this ad :)
I guess I meant if I didn't make it this cycle, I would mostly likely keep my research job until enrolling in med school in Fall 2016. Thats 2 years from now, assuming I was accepted next cycle.

I'd be 27 then, which I guess now a days isn't so un-traditional.

If you don't want to research there are other things to do like scribing, volunteering at a free clinic, city year. If you have two years I think you'll have some more opportunities unless their deadlines have passed, once-in-a-lifetime kinds of opportunities. Like, imagine doing peace corps in the Ebola outbreak in Africa right now. Maybe not that crazy but I'm sure you can find something.

Sorry, didn't read about your mcat. In your scenario, I would very very strongly advise not applying now.

Really though figure it out soon, a year goes by too fast to do research if it's not your thing.

2 years is nothing.

The peace corps app is almost as agonizing as the med school process...

Thanks for the advice. I would love to just stop researching all together, but its hard to close a project without other projects opening up. My next research job is through a referral from my current PI and is on the med school campus in their cancer center. It's almost too much to say no too as it could end up opening more opportunities and boosting my app all together. Although it means I'll be stuck playing with pipettes and being frustrated by qPCR results for another year or more, it's probably worth it. An exciting once-in-a-lifetime job would be cool too but from briefly looking around, my safest bet is to stay in research.

To echo everyone else on this thread... Wait.

I had a friend apply late with a 4.0/34/good ECs. After graduating with no acceptances to medical school and two waitlist offers, he was accepted off the waitlist just a week ago.

Besides the financial roller coaster he just went through (he started this app cycle since he didn't think he'd get in anymore), I can only imagine the emotional state he must be in right now.

To echo everyone else on this thread... Wait.

I had a friend apply late with a 4.0/34/good ECs. After graduating with no acceptances to medical school and two waitlist offers, he was accepted off the waitlist just a week ago.

Besides the financial roller coaster he just went through (he started this app cycle since he didn't think he'd get in anymore), I can only imagine the emotional state he must be in right now.

How late was your friend?

How late was your friend?
I don't know exact dates, but I want to say he got his mcat back at the end of August or beginning of September and had all of his secondaries in by mid October.

If you complete your primary in October and secondaries in October-November you will be looking at interviews in January-March, though your overall chances at getting an interview at all will be decreased compared to completing primary in June and secondaries in July. This means there is a chance you will be interviewing not necessarily for an outright acceptance, but for a spot on the waitlist. If you are dead-set on applying now, and are willing to play the waitlist game even if it means not hearing back until June or July, go for it. Otherwise consider waiting and having much better chances.

I guess I meant if I didn't make it this cycle, I would mostly likely keep my research job until enrolling in med school in Fall 2016. Thats 2 years from now, assuming I was accepted next cycle.

I'd be 27 then, which I guess now a days isn't so un-traditional.
Apply now to 2 reach, 2 middle, and 2 low schools. If it doesn't work - apply next year.

I did my application around late June but didn't get secondaries in until mid September for some schools and even November (matriculating to this one). You can always chance it :)