Does it hurt post-bacc nontrads that work 30+ hours a week if they only take 1 or 2 classes a semester?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

idkmed

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was a non-science undergrad and then changed career paths. I went into a post-bacc program but only took 1 or 2 classes a semester due to working to support myself + volunteering, about 30-35 hours a week combined. It actually took me 3 years in post-bacc to get through the general premed coursework. Towards the end I was only taking one class a semester to focus on work and clinical experience.

Now I worry that adcoms will look at my transcript and question if I can handle the rigors of medical school because I took classes at such a slow rate. Anyone have any input on this?

Edit: Forgot to ask, should I reapply to an undergraduate program and do one semester of 2-4 science courses just to "prove" I can handle a heavy course load?

Members don't see this ad.

If you have to work, you have to work. I know it, you know it, admissions committees know it. Not everyone has the luxury of the traditional path to medical school, and its been my experience that this is just fine. I recently had a sit-down with admissions committee members and the director of admissions for a local school of medicine. To my surprise, I received praise for my efforts and was told that for a person like me, MCAT would be important but the totality of my circumstances was also important.

If you have your pre-reqs done for wherever you want to apply, I wouldn't retake anything unless you need to repair your grades. I don't think it's wise to take extra courses for the sake of demonstrating a point. If you've done well with what you have, the fact that you've continued to work full-time and squeeze-in extra curricular stuff says a lot.

Reactions: 2 users
I was a non-science undergrad and then changed career paths. I went into a post-bacc program but only took 1 or 2 classes a semester due to working to support myself + volunteering, about 30-35 hours a week combined. It actually took me 3 years in post-bacc to get through the general premed coursework. Towards the end I was only taking one class a semester to focus on work and clinical experience.

Now I worry that adcoms will look at my transcript and question if I can handle the rigors of medical school because I took classes at such a slow rate. Anyone have any input on this?

Edit: Forgot to ask, should I reapply to an undergraduate program and do one semester of 2-4 science courses just to "prove" I can handle a heavy course load?

I agree with @BTDT. If you’re asked about this (or you could just address it directly on your primary/secondary application), you would say something like “I worked X hours per week to earn a living and pay for my education. This was on top of all my other responsibilities, including X, Y, and Z. It took 3 long years, but I’m proud of what I accomplished on my way to medical school.” Obviously you’ll wordsmith that a bit, but that’s the sentiment you should communicate: I have grit and I worked really hard for this, even though my path wasn’t traditional.

Do YOU think you can handle the rigors of medical school? Otherwise don’t bother with reapplying to an undergraduate program to “prove” anything to anyone else.

Reactions: 1 users

Working full-time and excelling in part-time academics/Extracurricular shows just that. As someone who worked full time and attended undergrad full time for 2 years. It is not worth the stress, and your GPA will more than likely suffer if you try to go back and do it to prove a point.

Reactions: 1 user