Does It Hurt You To Apply To Too Many Schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rehtse

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I am a California resident and I know that California students apply to more schools on average. Does anyone know whether it hurts you to apply to many schools...say more than 30? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

hi all. its me again. by "hurt you" i mean that med schools think you have little confidence in yourself...that you don't care where you get accepted...etc. thanks.

I don't think that schools know how many schools you apply to so I don't think that it will hurt you. I do know at some interviews, they do ask you what schools you applied to, but I would just generally answer some in california, some on the east coast. I think most schools are pretty understanding of the fact that we do have a need to apply to a range of schools. THe important thing is to show interest in the school that you are applying to and to know why you like it. I applied to 33! A lot, I know, but i'm a California resident and you never know what can happen.

Members don't see this ad :)
the only thing it will hurt is your wallet.

well, I was going to asnwer, but kidsmd already said everything that needed to be said

-they don't know
-if they ask just list some comparable schools
-have solid reasons ready for why the school you are interveiwing at is a good place for you and vice versa

I agree with everything said above. Just be prepared for an inundation of secondaries and interviews, which can be pretty time consuming and expensive. I applied to 37 schools, responded to 27 secondaries, and went to 6 interviews (declined several interviews), which cost me about $5,000-$7,000. If it sounds too expensive for you, go ahead and apply to your 30+ schools, but be picky when it comes to secondaries and interviews.

I have applied to 32 schools! but I am assuming that not every single school will send me a secondary but if they do I am ready. I have saved up the $$$ and I am just casting a really really really wide net, he he. I am sure that hopefully (keep fingers crossed) if I get an early acceptance I can drop some schools off my list, but of course you just never know....