Does it look bad to not apply to one of my in-state schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Laurenxxxx

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I live in Pennsylvania and do not want to apply to The Commonwealth Medical College. I know the area and it is not somewhere that I want to live in for four years of my life. Do you think this looks bad? I ask because I am under the impression that medical schools are able to see where you applied. Because it happens to be a low-tier school with something like 3.6/29 average acceptance, will this come off as "this girl thinks she is too good for Commonwealth"? I know any medical school acceptance is great but Scranton, PA is absolutely not my cup of tea. Is that enough of a reason?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think medical schools would care where you applied, or did not apply. I think it is generally a good idea to limit the number of places you applied to for financial reasons. However, it is worth noting that even if you are a very competitive candidate, admissions in general is a very competitive (and sometimes unpredictable process). I personally think you should apply to all your in-state schools regardless of their reputation.

Med schools cannot see where you apply.

/thread.

Edit: Also, FWIW, I'm a PA resident and I didn't apply to Commonwealth. Not a fan of Scranton and it was a much newer school when I was applying in 2011. Also their secondary is atrocious, something like 7 essays.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If you know you wouldn't go there even if it was your only acceptance, then you probably shouldn't apply. Otherwise, I would.

It won't matter. Schools only ever pay attention if you have been accepted somewhere else. If it ever comes up for some crazy reason, then an answer along the lines of "I felt I would not be happy" would suffice. Medical schools understand that there are schools that only certain people want to go to. That is why some schools have 10,000 applications and others only a couple thousand.

Reactions: 1 user
It won't come up .. And if anyone ever asks you where you applied, there are tactful workarounds so that you don't (and really, shouldn't) have to answer that question.

100% concur.
I don't think medical schools would care where you applied, or did not apply. I think it is generally a good idea to limit the number of places you applied to for financial reasons. However, it is worth noting that even if you are a very competitive candidate, admissions in general is a very competitive (and sometimes unpredictable process). I personally think you should apply to all your in-state schools regardless of their reputation.

Medical schools don't see where you applied when you go in for interviews, and it'll likely not come up in an interview. That said, only forego the chance if you would never consider going to that med school. Have you given the curriculum/professors/student life etc there a good look? It is still a pretty good medical school, and you will still emerge an doctor.