does it look bad to take few units?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

confusedchild

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So here the situation I'm in right now. Ever since last year, I realized that there isn't a way for me to graduate on time (in 4 years) because of my major and the fact that I'm premed. Upon my heavy Elec Engring courses, I have an additional 9 classes that to fulfill medical school requirements that do not overlap with my major. My school is on a quarter system. For the first two years, I loaded up my schedule taking 4 hard sciences/qtr, but starting my thrid year I started to cut down to 3 classes/qtr, figuring that it probably doesn't matter since I can't graduate in 4 years anyways. I didn't see a differnece in staying an extra quarter or two quarters if I'm applying at the end of my 4th year and waiting to be accepted. Another reason, I cut down on classes was because I became the president of an honor society (~5-6 hours/week), took on research (~8 hours/week), volunteered (~4/week), and had a job as a grader of hws (~10 hrs/week).

I'm currently enrolled in 15 units, and I'm thinking about dropping a 2 unit EE lab but I don't know if I should. For the past two quarters (fall and winter), i've taken 13 and 13 respectively (minimum per quarter is 12). I really wanted to break the 40 unit mark (I think it's a pyschological barrier for me), but if I take 13, I'll total only 39 quarter units this entire year (compared to 50 my first and second year). Does it took bad to take a lighter course load? My activities have increased substantially though from second year to now..i currently volunteer 8 hours/week at 2 hospitals (4 each), continue grading about ~8 hours/week, research about 8 hours/week, and club stuff about ~5 hours/week, which doesn't leave me a lot of time. I can take the extra lab, I'll just have a lot less free time and be more stressed but it is doable. If i were to push it back, I'd take it my last quarter (next winter), and it would only increase my unit count that quarter form 8 units to 10 units.... what does everyone think?

Members don't see this ad.

I can't really comment on the quarter system - I'm not familar with it.

But as to your time issue, I think it might be beneficial if you eased up on some of your EC commitments - are you still able to perform well in your classes, do you have free time to be a typical college student? Don't burn yourself into the ground, relax and at least try to have a good time. Hope this helps!