Does it look like I'm taking the easy way out? JHU vs Harvard Extension

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

smeegle

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, I'm an undergrad at Johns Hopkins who's planning to graduate a full year early. I decided to graduate early before deciding to pursue medicine, mostly for financial reasons - tuition is 60k a year. I recently decided that medicine is the right path for me, and will have a few pre med classes left to complete post-grad. I thought I would do them at Harvard Extension, since the total cost there would be ~$8,000, and I'd be done within a calendar year even if I have a job concurrently.

When admissions officers look at my application, will they question why I graduated from Hopkins a year early only to do a post bacc at a less rigorous school? Does it look like I'm just avoiding the difficulty of Hopkins? I could theoretically stay at Hopkins for a fourth year and double up on sciences, but truth be told, I know Hopkins' level of rigor and I know it would hurt my GPA.
I figured this was a win-win-win: I save money, I protect my undergrad gpa, I go to a post bacc program w a good reputation... but am I missing something?

Members don't see this ad.

I think you could explain the financial aspect of it all. If you manage to get decent marks it's good. You're good. It makes sense.

Hey, I'm an undergrad at Johns Hopkins who's planning to graduate a full year early. I decided to graduate early before deciding to pursue medicine, mostly for financial reasons - tuition is 60k a year. I recently decided that medicine is the right path for me, and will have a few pre med classes left to complete post-grad. I thought I would do them at Harvard Extension, since the total cost there would be ~$8,000, and I'd be done within a calendar year even if I have a job concurrently.

When admissions officers look at my application, will they question why I graduated from Hopkins a year early only to do a post bacc at a less rigorous school? Does it look like I'm just avoiding the difficulty of Hopkins? I could theoretically stay at Hopkins for a fourth year and double up on sciences, but truth be told, I know Hopkins' level of rigor and I know it would hurt my GPA.
I figured this was a win-win-win: I save money, I protect my undergrad gpa, I go to a post bacc program w a good reputation... but am I missing something?

After paying off half of my undergrad, I think this is a wise decision. I can't say how adcoms will see it, but if you explain it as a financial decision it shouldn't be frowned upon.

Reactions: 1 user