Does it look okay if I take a prereq in the summer so long as it is at my own university?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
R

RTC19

Delete

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Members don't see this ad :)
I took a somewhat long gap from school (3 semesters) because of family issues.

Things have died down and I am looking to get back to school this summer or, failing that, this fall.

In order to not have to delay my application yet another year, I am thinking about taking Physics II as a summer school course at my home university.

Does this look okay? I feel like I heard gonnif say that one or two prereqs in the summer is no biggie, but I could be mistaken.

Again, it is at my home university (not CC or anything) and this would be my only summer prereq, although not my only summer course because I took care of a few gen eds and classes for my Psych major during the summer.

Thanks so much and have a lovely day! :)

- RTC :)

I'd just worry that all that Physics 2 stuff being crammed into a shortened period... but then again I hated Physics.

Reactions: 1 users
That's a great point and I really appreciate your bringing it up.

Physics I actually agreed with me, so I thought doing Physics II in the shortened time period might actually be okay.

Was Physics II conceptually more challenging than Physics I? I have been out of school long enough that I don't remember what other folks from school said about that.

I didn't like either of them. As a class to take after having 1.5 years off might be hard... I would take some easier classes to ease back into the idea of school.

Reactions: 1 user
I didn't like either of them. As a class to take after having 1.5 years off might be hard... I would take some easier classes to ease back into the idea of school.

Another good point.

I'll think about it a little more, but I think I will probably do that.

Thank you! :)

Did everything but biology during summer. Didn't come up once during interviews so I think it is fine.

Another good point.

I'll think about it a little more, but I think I will probably do that.

Thank you! :)

Remember, you have only one chance for a first impression. You want to do as well as possible for your future application. That means making sure you have everything set up to succeed, including taking the BCPM classes when you are most ready for them.

I'd just worry that all that Physics 2 stuff being crammed into a shortened period... but then again I hated Physics.

True, it will likely be harder due to the compressed nature. I did o-chem 2 lecture and lab during the summer for similar scheduling reasons, and it was basically a full-time job.

But from the admissions officer's perspective, I think an A in physics from 4-Year-Uni is the same whether taken during a regular semester or during the summer.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

That's a great point and I really appreciate your bringing it up.

Physics I actually agreed with me, so I thought doing Physics II in the shortened time period might actually be okay.

Was Physics II conceptually more challenging than Physics I? I have been out of school long enough that I don't remember what other folks from school said about that.
I know at my university Physics II is more abstract (electron movement) compared to Physics I (pulleys and friction). Basically, you can actually observe what is going on in Physics I, but my friends say they liked PII more than PI.

I took physics II over the summer and loved it.

The condensed format for this 1 course was excellent. I never did pre-reqs over the summer with this being the exception - I gotta say it was great to just focus on it when you have nothing else going on.

True, it will likely be harder due to the compressed nature. I did o-chem 2 lecture and lab during the summer for similar scheduling reasons, and it was basically a full-time job.

But from the admissions officer's perspective, I think an A in physics from 4-Year-Uni is the same whether taken during a regular semester or during the summer.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Of course they will view it the same. The real question is if the OP can pull that A taking Physics 2 after 1.5 years away from school and from Physics 1. Taking it in the summer for a C vs in the fall for an A makes a big difference.

Of course they will view it the same. The real question is if the OP can pull that A taking Physics 2 after 1.5 years away from school and from Physics 1. Taking it in the summer for a C vs in the fall for an A makes a big difference.

I think @gonnif has said that statement is only an "of course" if only a couple prereqs are taken over the summer. More than that and adcoms might wonder if they're being taken in the summer in order to avoid more difficult professors that don't teach in the summer or something similar.