Does it look terrible if someone forgets their first lanague?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Malkin.12

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ever sense I got adopted from Russia at the age of seven , I had to adapt to a new culture. Had to obviously learn English. Thinking as a seven year old as I was, decided to give up my first language. The reason is, I was traumatized, had a rational fear of getting sent back to the Russian orphanage again. Reflecting back 12 years ago, I sincerely regret giving up my first language, thus, it's giving me a guilt trip . Not to mention, I didn't have anybody to keep up with my Russian language. Will this look negatively towards the medical schools that I apply too in the future? I'd appreciate the suggestions.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not an expert, but my guess is that it'd be pretty neutral. Knowing a second language would definitely be a plus, but it's not uncommon for people who immigrate as kids, are adopted etc. to lose their first language. I don't think anyone's going to hold it against you.

Reactions: 1 users
Considering the circumstances, I can't imagine that a med school would be too terribly bothered by your lack of fluency with Russian. Not to mention that the vast majority of Americans seem to only speak English, and so it really would be unfair to expect anything different from you.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
No. Medical schools won't care and they won't even know unless you tell them.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm not an expert, but my guess is that it'd be pretty neutral. Knowing a second language would definitely be a plus, but it's not uncommon for people who immigrate as kids, are adopted etc. to lose their first language. I don't think anyone's going to hold it against you.
When I tell others they freak out, and think it was foolish of me.

Honestly I'd more worried that you're a Pens fan...that might be lethal if that comes up during your interviews.

Just teasing, you'll be ok. If it comes up it sounds like you have a story that tugs on the heartstrings to explain it anyways. If it's a source of regret you could always try to pick it back up, it may come easier than you would expect.

Reactions: 4 users
When I tell others they freak out, and think it was foolish of me.

That's silly. Knowing a second language would be nice, but it's kind of absurd to me that someone would judge you for something you decided when you were SEVEN and in a very stressful situation. Did they expect a freaked-out seven-year-old to go looking for other Russian speakers so you be bilingual for your med school apps?

Reactions: 3 users
Will this look negatively towards the medical schools that I apply too in the future?

For some reason on SDN, people always try to put their worst foot forward for anything medical school, something that I never understood. You are creating your own problem by telling them you don't.

Reactions: 2 users
Honestly I'd more worried that you're a Pens fan...that might be lethal if that comes up during your interviews.

Just teasing, you'll be ok. If it comes up it sounds like you have a story that tugs on the heartstrings to explain it anyways. If it's a source of regret you could always try to pick it back up, it may come easier than you would expect.
Not if I apply to Pennsylvania schools lol...jk. Ohh, keep your big yappers shut haha! You have no reason to bash the pens. Just incase if you forgot already, we are the 2016 Stanley cup champions:soexcited::soexcited::soexcited::soexcited::soexcited: All in fun by the way!

I've honestly thought of relearning Russian, but I don't have the time anymore!

Not if I apply to Pennsylvania schools lol...jk. Ohh, keep your big yappers shut haha! You have no reason to bash the pens. Just incase if you forgot already, we are the 2016 Stanley cup champions:soexcited::soexcited::soexcited::soexcited::soexcited: All in fun by the way!

I've honestly thought of relearning Russian, but I don't have the time anymore!

Just stay away from the Philly ones, we don't like your kind!

But yes, that's understandable. Best of luck!

Just stay away from the Philly ones, we don't like your kind!

But yes, that's understandable. Best of luck!
Yeah, I only know the basics of Russian language. Just not fluent. So It's still somewhere in my brain, just got to reconnect the synapses together:laugh:

No. Why would you even think this???

Ever sense I got adopted from Russia at the age of seven , I had to adapt to a new culture. Had to obviously learn English. Thinking as a seven year old as I was, decided to give up my first language. The reason is, I was traumatized, had a rational fear of getting sent back to the Russian orphanage again. Reflecting back 12 years ago, I sincerely regret giving up my first language, thus, it's giving me a guilt trip . Not to mention, I didn't have anybody to keep up with my Russian language. Will this look negatively towards the medical schools that I apply too in the future? I'd appreciate the suggestions.

Will this look negatively towards the medical schools that I apply too in the future?
Just to he ridiculous, let's pretend that yes, it is a negative. Then what? How do you use that information?

Plenty of children immigrate and forget their first language.

Back in the day, many parents thought that their children might have trouble integrating if they spoke their mother tongue... so the parents tried to only speak English to the kids...

That was a huge fail because:

1) The parents sucked at English anyhow. 2) The kids learned English at school anyway. 3) turns out, in America, you actually fail to integrate because of racism.

So don't sweat it if you aren't good at Russian. It's a loss that you forgot it, but understandably so.

Im more afraid of the fact that you can't spell language in your heading than if you forget how to speak Russian......

Dude stop making so many threads about your adopted background history.. I agree it was tough for you because being an orphan sucks but you need to pull your Freshman grades up and worry about getting LORs, ECs, volunteering, research before you can even think about this part of your application. You still have to prove yourself as a potential medical student before schools will even begin to care about your Russian language.