Does it make a difference?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anegron519

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
So I searched for this thread but couldn't find it. Maybe the wording was different.

Us here on SDN are really competitive and we want in on some of the best medical schools in the world. We also know that with these schools comes the most likely chance that our tuition will be more expensive. Well does the doctor that graduated from Harvard (#1)earn a higher pay than the doctor who graduates from Loma Linda(#104). I was wondering if the difference was even something like 50k a year.

No. School ranking/prestige has very little impact on private practice. Only thing I can think of is that a Harvard grad may have a slightly better chance at getting into some selective private practice group in a desirable big city, but my understanding is that this is uncommon and just depends on what the practice is looking for/trying to market themselves as.

Long story short, don't worry about it. There's no real difference, not even $50k a year (which is massive by the way).

Money isn't wh you go to the big name schools, usually. They are good if you want to go into research or academics. They are also good at getting people into high paying non-clinical jobs like consulting (still not exactly sure what they actually do).

Members don't see this ad :)
So I searched for this thread but couldn't find it. Maybe the wording was different.

Us here on SDN are really competitive and we want in on some of the best medical schools in the world. We also know that with these schools comes the most likely chance that our tuition will be more expensive. Well does the doctor that graduated from Harvard (#1)earn a higher pay than the doctor who graduates from Loma Linda(#104). I was wondering if the difference was even something like 50k a year.

I really don't know where you got the idea that bigger name schools are more expensive. If anything they tend to have more money to give out in financial aid, be it need or merit based.

And no, the pay you earn later will not directly depend on where you received your medical degree.

The selectivity factor of medical school for residency placement does not matter that much. However, where you done your residency and who you know play a larger role in job prospects.