does it make sense to apply in Early Decision/

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

emno

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

If I apply under Early decision, I can apply only for that DO school and decision will be made by October 1st.

What are pro-cons of applying under early decision.
My GPS is 3.6 and 1st time MCAt score was 23. I took MCAt again in May but I am not sure how I did.

Thanks for your help.

Members don't see this ad.

I personally think the early decision program that you are talking about is pointless. You basically so I will not apply anywhere but your school until you tell me if I get accepted. The problem is doing the regular application, you could find out before october 1st, and if they say no, you are applying way late in the game. The only benefit I see is portraying the "pick me and I WILL go to your school" attitude which can be a hude factor in decisions, but I am just not sure the benefit outweighs the negative.

The fact that you get a spot is the main advantage. Apply early because your MCAT can use improvement and with rolling admission you want to know asap.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've never heard of this.

I think KCOM is the one that advertises it on their site. Maybe others as well. If you could find out by, say, august I think it would be worth it, but I have seen people getting acceptances by mid september, so I begs the question, why only apply there. However if this school is your number 1 choice, conveying that to them may only be a good thing for you.

I don't think so, especially with DO schools where acceptances can go out pre-10/15 unlike MD schools. I don't know when they would tell you or what school you're talking about, but if you apply early and broadly you might easily have multiple interviews very early.

if that is the school that you really want to go to then yes apply early decision... as long as your stats are competitive, they will really want you because they know you want to go there. almost all applicants apply to multiple schools so it is difficult for adcoms to decide which are using their school as a backup and which really want to go there.

if that is the school that you really want to go to then yes apply early decision... as long as your stats are competitive, they will really want you because they know you want to go there. almost all applicants apply to multiple schools so it is difficult for adcoms to decide which are using their school as a backup and which really want to go there.

It is atypical for someone to get in early decision, who would not have been accepted regular admission with an early application.

I see very little advantage, unless you would reapply if not given an acceptance to XCOM