Does it make sense to go to med school if I’m only interested in “non-competitive” specialties?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doctorwannabe1234

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I’m a non-trad who turned premed my last year of completing my psychology bachelors (2019). I’m very interested in psychiatry, family medicine, and possibly obgyn. I was having a conversation with someone (who has a clinical psych PhD) and they were saying that it makes more sense to do PA or NP for non competitive specialities since they don’t make that much less than an MD (family med, psych). Also, they were saying that psychiatrists don’t do anything besides medication management and that licensed mental health counselors (masters level) don’t make that much less than psychiatrists. I’m really not someone who cares THAT much about money. I’m a first generation URM so my family never made more than 20k growing up. A salary of 50k is a lot of money to me because of that lol. I chose med school because I want a really in depth education and I want to be the “expert” in my career. Anyway, is it hard to pay off the med school debt if you’re in a low paying specialty? Is med school still a good choice for these specialities despite the low pay?

Members don't see this ad.

I’m a non-trad who turned premed my last year of completing my psychology bachelors (2019). I’m very interested in psychiatry, family medicine, and possibly obgyn. I was having a conversation with someone (who has a clinical psych PhD) and they were saying that it makes more sense to do PA or NP for non competitive specialities since they don’t make that much less than an MD (family med, psych). Also, they were saying that psychiatrists don’t do anything besides medication management and that licensed mental health counselors (masters level) don’t make that much less than psychiatrists. I’m really not someone who cares THAT much about money. I’m a first generation URM so my family never made more than 20k growing up. A salary of 50k is a lot of money to me because of that lol. I chose med school because I want a really in depth education and I want to be the “expert” in my career. Anyway, is it hard to pay off the med school debt if you’re in a low paying specialty? Is med school still a good choice for these specialities despite the low pay?
absolutely! Definitely go to medical school! If you list that you are considering primary care you will be eligible for different grants and scholarships, plus as a URM chances are your tuition with all this will be very low! ALso, even if you pursue the LOWEST paid medical specialty, you STILL make a lot of money, and as long as you are smart about it, you can pay off the loans no problem. Plus there are forgiveness programs if you serve in underserved communities.

Being an NP and PA is not a bad career, dont take me wrong. But it does limit your options, and your freedom significantly.

PLEASE dont listen to that person, and just go for it. The world needs more doctors like you!!!

Reactions: 8 users

I'm interested in psych too. There's no mental health career I'd love more than a psychiatric one, because not only do you understand the psychological presentations of disorders, but you get to do medication management and consider a patient's somatic issues together too. Psychiatry is also so flexible -- from talk therapy to transcranial magnetic stimulation, you have an array of tools that you can learn about and use as you see fit. Plus the fact many psychiatrists work less than 40 hours a week and are still doing quite well for themselves (maybe something you'd want to consider with a family). Also, anecdotal, but to address the salary point -- I have never seen a masters level counselor's salary that was comparable to your average psychiatrist's. I could be wrong there though.

Your line about wanting to be the expert is an important motivation. I'd listen to it. People certainly go into FM and psych and pay off their debt (and then live comfortable lives after that). Also, the ceiling in medicine is a lot higher than in other careers. Your interest in obgyn could turn into an interest into maternal-fetal medicine, or into obgyn research where being an expert is helpful...and then you'll be glad you pursued the DO or MD.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
also, on a side note.... i hate people who try to put others in a "box", - "do this because it is ENOUGH, you dont need to be more in your life". Oh, come on! be the BEST you can be. be the EXPERT in your field (whether it is FM, psychiatry or something else). Go further than anyone in your family has even gone. And it is NOT about the money, really, it is about proving to yourself and everyone else that if you work hard you can do ANYTHING in life. i come from a very poor background, and a lot of people told me that people "like me" dont go to medical school, and i should be a nurse or PA instead..... DONT LISTEN TO THINGS LIKE THIS.

you should go and be an NP or PA if you like what they do and do not like what doctors do. Those are very different career paths, - very rewarding, interesting careers, but they ARE different from medical doctor. WHat you are describing is a position of a DOCTOR (MD or DO). So dont listen to anyone who tries to put your ambition in a little "convenient" for them box. do YOU. start getting all your ducks in a row, work your butt of on that MCAT and get that full ride in a great school!

and if you need any advice, please PM me!!!! i would love to help

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 6 users
I have news for you. What was competitive 10 years ago may not be very competitive at all in 5 years. Right now, Psych is HOT. Rad tx was pretty dead. Path was once hot and a HUGE money maker.

So go to med school and choose a specialty you will hopefully enjoy.

Reactions: 2 users
I have news for you. What was competitive 10 years ago may not be very competitive at all in 5 years. Right now, Psych is HOT. Rad tx was pretty dead. Path was once hot and a HUGE money maker.

To piggyback off OP's post -- I am interested in psych (applying next cycle, so am a premed), as I mentioned above, and I know that it's trending pretty highly right now. I have heard that it's expected for the average scores/ERAS experiences for psych applicants to go up across the board. Would you agree/what's your assessment for how much harder it will be to match psych in a few years?

Of course it does!

Also, your interests might very well change once you start rotation. YOU never know if the operation room might become the love of your life.

Reactions: 2 users
Of course it does!

Also, your interests might very well change once you start rotation. YOU never know if the operation room might become the love of your life.

Or abandon psych once you see those you either can’t really help, or refuse to receive help.....

Plenty of different paths you may discover.

Good luck op.

Reactions: 1 user
also, on a side note.... i hate people who try to put others in a "box", - "do this because it is ENOUGH, you dont need to be more in your life". Oh, come on! be the BEST you can be. be the EXPERT in your field (whether it is FM, psychiatry or something else). Go further than anyone in your family has even gone. And it is NOT about the money, really, it is about proving to yourself and everyone else that if you work hard you can do ANYTHING in life. i come from a very poor background, and a lot of people told me that people "like me" dont go to medical school, and i should be a nurse or PA instead..... DONT LISTEN TO THINGS LIKE THIS.

you should go and be an NP or PA if you like what they do and do not like what doctors do. Those are very different career paths, - very rewarding, interesting careers, but they ARE different from medical doctor. WHat you are describing is a position of a DOCTOR (MD or DO). So dont listen to anyone who tries to put your ambition in a little "convenient" for them box. do YOU. start getting all your ducks in a row, work your butt of on that MCAT and get that full ride in a great school!

and if you need any advice, please PM me!!!! i would love to help

Wholeheartedly agree with this sentiment. The PsyD is not going to provide an accurate perspective of a physician. Be the expert (read: physician) in whatever specialty you choose.

Reactions: 1 user

I'm not a med student yet, but I applied this cycle after a number of years of wondering which healthcare path to pursue, and I am also very seriously interested in primary care.

I think you can look at the pros and cons a variety of different ways. From a strictly financial perspective, it can be a ton of debt, but won't be much of an issue to pay off for most people, assuming they live within their means. So if you want to be a doctor, don't worry too much about the finances. Some folks make it so much about the money ("every gap year you take is a year of lost DOCTOR MONEY"), but I think that perspective is ridiculous. Over your working career you'll earn plenty, regardless if you're "late" to the game, and you might be happier having spent some time off before school enjoying life. :)

Then there's the consideration that it's also a huge investment of time and energy. If all that school+ residency sounds awful, you may end up miserable. But if you really like learning and are insatiably curious and enjoy school and don't mind long hours in pursuit of something you love, you could totally fulfilled in medicine, or regret not going that route later.

I considered nursing and PA school as options but realized that at the end of the day the journey of becoming a nurse or a PA honestly didn't sound that much better than medical school (I'm excited about getting overwhelmed with coursework!), and I'm a bit of a masochist, so doing the hardest thing is the most appealing to me. The time spent in school doesn't matter to me. It's not wasted years. (But I've been in the workforce for a while, so I have some extra motivation to get out of the workforce and into the classroom ;)).

Shadow some people in each field if you can. Or at the very least, have a phone/zoom conversation with them about their career. Seeing the realities of the job helps tremendously.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

This. Right now psych is sizzling because of the great work-life balance. All specialties have their ebbs and flows over time, but almost all of them are in need so pick what you enjoy and the rest will work itself out over time.

David D, MD - USMLE and MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

I'm also interested in psychiatry and people have told me to go into PA school or psychology. Sometimes I doubt myself because I want to provide psychotherapy in addition to medication management and they say that psychiatrists only give medication management and that the psychologist does the therapy. I feel that no matter what medical specialty you get into you can tailor your interests and do what makes you happy. I feel like as a physician I can be an expert in my field and serve my patients better with my knowledge but also do what I love in the way I want. It is difficult not to hear others' opinions because this is not an easy decision but in the end, it is your future, not theirs.