Does it make since to go into Nursing if...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

guestacc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
You wanted to be a doctor but not wanting medicine to take over my life (long hours, long education, high debt)?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using SDN Mobile

Members don't see this ad.

No, go to PA school. Nursing is absolutely nothing like being a physician. You will not be happy being a nurse if you have any inclination to practice medicine.

Cody-D..jpg

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
No, go to PA school. Nursing is absolutely nothing like being a physician. You will not be happy being a nurse if you have any inclination to practice medicine.
actually if you want the respect and scope of practice of a doc and go to pa school you will be very unhappy with your choice.

I somewhat agree with this statement. As an RN who is considering applying to either NP or MD school, I would say it depends on *why* you want to be a doctor.

Do you want to be a doctor b/c you want to: "help people," work in healthcare, like science, like "medicine," are interested in the human body, or want to work in a hospital or primary care office? Then, nursing might be for you.

Do you want to be a doctor b/c you want to: have prestige, be an attending, direct medical care, be at the top of the healthcare food chain, have the highest degree in your area of interest? Then, an MD might make more sense.

It also depends if your end goal is to be an RN vs. an NP/advanced practice nurse, and what specialty you might want to go into. From what Ive seen, ED nurses have more autonomy than floor nurses, and nurse anesthetists and nurse-midwives are highly respected/better known advanced nursing degrees, for example.

Also, do you want to work in a large urban teaching hospital (where all of the juicy cases are handled by the MDs and residents/fellows)? Or are you OK at a small community hospital where there are no residents/med students and NPs get to have a lot more latitude?

Sorry to answer your question with more questions... :D

Do you want to be a doctor b/c you want to: "help people," work in healthcare, like science, like "medicine," are interested in the human body, or want to work in a hospital or primary care office? Then, nursing might be for you.

Do you want to be a doctor b/c you want to: have prestige, be an attending, direct medical care, be at the top of the healthcare food chain, have the highest degree in your area of interest? Then, an MD might make more sense.
facepalm.jpg

No, nursing and medicine are really not much alike. I don't think it makes much sense at all, frankly.

I was really interested in medicine and decided to go into nursing, but it was not what I was expecting. It is very different, and I you never ending up knowing what the doctors know. It is totally different, nurses look at things through the nursing perspective, while doctors and PAs use the medical model. I would think very carefully about it and talk to a nurse about exactly what they do, talk to several nurses. Hope that helps.

yeah.Nursing is absolutely nothing like being a physician. You will not be happy being a nurse if you have any inclination to practice medicine.
2.gif

I was really interested in being a doctor and started nursing school. I wasted a long time doing prerequists also. Nursing school is very different. They will never teach you what they would teach a doctor. They also use the nursing model usually to teach, instead of the medical model. Please talk to someone in nursing before you decide on it.

As an FNP student, I suggest you either go PA or MD route. I love being a nurse. Bridging the health care disparities gap has always been my passion. Frankly, we do not prepare our ARNP students. It boggles my mind. We demand to have more rights, but we don't have the education to support our barks. I am almost done with my program. My only opition is to go for my DNP. Hopefully then, I will have 10% of the education required to practice.

As an FNP student, I suggest you either go PA or MD route. I love being a nurse. Bridging the health care disparities gap has always been my passion. Frankly, we do not prepare our ARNP students. It boggles my mind. We demand to have more rights, but we don't have the education to support our barks. I am almost done with my program. My only opition is to go for my DNP. Hopefully then, I will have 10% of the education required to practice.

Your only 2 posts are exact duplicates of each other. I can't help but think you aren't what you say you are. I know plenty of NPs that know more than 10% of what is required to practice. If you are an SNP, are you just struggling with the material in your program and not learning anything because of your own weaknesses... Or maybe you go to a terrible program? In any event, I don't quite buy what you're selling here.

Your only 2 posts are exact duplicates of each other. I can't help but think you aren't what you say you are. I know plenty of NPs that know more than 10% of what is required to practice. If you are an SNP, are you just struggling with the material in your program and not learning anything because of your own weaknesses... Or maybe you go to a terrible program? In any event, I don't quite buy what you're selling here.

This. It sounds as if this individual just has personal limitations. I don't think any NP will claim to know everything, but anyone who only feels they are 10% ready to practice should not practice. Granted, feeling ready or not is not the same as being ready or not. Every healthcare provider should acknowledge their limitations regardless of what letters follow their name.

Last edited:
You wanted to be a doctor but not wanting medicine to take over my life (long hours, long education, high debt)?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using SDN Mobile

I think it makes perfect 'since' for you to go in to nursing.

I think it makes perfect 'since' for you to go in to nursing.
Your verbal ***** slap is hitting about a year and a half too late.
noobs-everywhere.jpg

Always pay attention to the post date of posts you are replying to, lest you accidentally become a necromancer.

Just in case someone might be in a similar situation, I actually ended up leaving a nursing program because it wasn't something I felt drawn to, alongside being honest with myself and being drawn to the scope of medicine as opposed to nursing. This is a critical point to consider that along with other factors, has changed my undergraduate degree and long term goals to practice medicine.

Your verbal ***** slap is hitting about a year and a half too late.
noobs-everywhere.jpg

Always pay attention to the post date of posts you are replying to, lest you accidentally become a necromancer.

I'm no n00b, n00b.