Does it matter for med school if You take Calc I or II?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

socrates89

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
what should I take???

Calc I
Calc I honors
Calc II

After taking the placement exam I placed into Calc I honors which is equivalent to Calc II so do you think i should take Calc II since it might impress medical school that being its a tougher class than Calc I or does it really not matter???

im a freshmen student and this is my first semester course

Members don't see this ad.

what should I take???

Calc I
Calc I honors
Calc II

After taking the placement exam I placed into Calc I honors which is equivalent to Calc II so do you think i should take Calc II since it might impress medical school that being its a tougher class than Calc I or does it really not matter???

It really doesn't matter. Just get good grade on the course.

It really doesn't matter. Just get good grade on the course.

Agreed. Unless you want to be a math, engineering, or physics major -- or some other major that requires a lot of math -- take the easier course and do well. An A in "easy" Calc I will impress medical schools more than a B in "hard" Calc II. (And a select few schools require two semesters of calculus anyway.)

-z

Members don't see this ad :)
So many pre-meds think they need to take the hardest courses, and that the admission committees even care or notice that they took the harder ones. A grade of "B" in a more challenging course isn't going to look better or the same as a grade of "A" in the easier course.

Don't shoot yourself in the foot, take a bunch of hard courses, and then end up with a GPA of 3.3 and then have to struggle to get into medical school. Just take the regular courses and focus on a breadth of knowledge, not a deep treatment of just one.

So many pre-meds think they need to take the hardest courses, and that the admission committees even care or notice that they took the harder ones. A grade of "B" in a more challenging course isn't going to look better or the same as a grade of "A" in the easier course.

Don't shoot yourself in the foot, take a bunch of had courses, and then end up with a GPA of 3.3 and then have to struggle to get into medical school. Just take the regular courses and focus on a breadth of knowledge, not a deep treatment of just one.

Haha, so true. I remember my first quarter in college, I took:
Calc III
Honors General Chem I
Calc-based Physics I
Computer Science I

Ya......... don't do that :laugh:

hassler what were ur grades for that quarter

Honors in Calculus means the class will most liklely be completely different than the Calculus you learned. It's going to be an introduction to analysis (analysis is the rigorous study of the development of calculus). You'll probably use a very-respectable textbook like baby Rudin. The class would revolve around proofs, not plug-and-chug calculations. Unless you love math and have a knack for the abstract, take Calc I or II. I felt II was more interesting, personally, so I'd reccomend you skip straight to that. Also, I don't think med schools will be impressed by Calc I Honors because they probably figure it's just Calc I with more HW. At least in the math department at my school, that's far, far from the truth.

Does anyone know if Psychology Stats/Research Methods courses are calculated into the Science GPA? And I'm guessing that a statistics course, no matter how elementary, if taken from the math dept. is considered part of the science GPA? Thanks.

what should I take???

Calc I
Calc I honors
Calc II

I took Calc I and stats I....none of the schools I applied to, interviewed at or was accepted to cared.

Related question: I took AP Calc AB in high school (and got a 5 on the exam) which got me out of Calc I, should I just take Calc I or will I need to take Calc II? I'm going to go ahead and guess that just taking the credit for the class and not taking any math in undergrad won't be good.

I took honors courses in college for math, and I thought that they helped me as a person. Sure they might not be so easy, but the challenges I had to face and the friends that I made along the way made it one of the best series of classes I took in college.

Does anyone know if Psychology Stats/Research Methods courses are calculated into the Science GPA? And I'm guessing that a statistics course, no matter how elementary, if taken from the math dept. is considered part of the science GPA? Thanks.

Research Methods, not usually. Psych Stats, not usually (but if YOU classified it as math on your AMCAS, a lot of times they let that through). And yes, just about any course with "Statistics" in the title from the Math department should be counted.

JUST TAKE CAL 1 GET GOOD GRADE and BE DONE WITH IT!!! I'm SO happy ......FINALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! DONE WITH STUPID MATH!!!!!!!!!!!:D

i'd recommend taking calc 2 just because it will give you a more complete understanding of calc 1. the fundamentals of calculus are (arguably) derivatives and integrals. you learn the derivatives in calc 1 and integrals in calc 2. i'm majoring in chemistry and my current school doesn't even require calc 3 for the degree (although i'm taking it anyway, because i adore calculus). also, anyone who took the AP in high school did a lot of calc 2 already.

incidentally, my last semester i did human bio (more indepth, past gen bio 1 and 2) with lab, calc-physics with lab, and chem 1 with lab (i'm retaking chem since it's been 12 years and that's my major). i had a 3.95 for the semester, so it's really not that bad if you focus :) of course, focusing your first quarter in college is a little harder than focusing when you're going back as an older nontrad ;)

JUST TAKE CAL 1 GET GOOD GRADE and BE DONE WITH IT!!! I'm SO happy ......FINALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! DONE WITH STUPID MATH!!!!!!!!!!!:D

Hey, is math stupid or is it the other way around? Me loves math!:D:D