does it matter if you research a variety of specialties?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

subtropicmd

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out why certain classmates care if I say that i am interested in a specialty today and maybe a different one next month. I came to med school planning to explore a variety of specialties as much as I could so that I could make an informed decision. so i wasn't born to be an orthopedic surgeon- sorry. I'm also not sure why they would care either. does anyone else find scorn when some one asks you what you want to do and you say that you don't know or it just happens to be something different from what you said a few months ago? and then they don't hear the part about "well I'm thinking or looking into xyz". apparently if you are looking into it is set in stone or something. I'm not sure what it is even a big deal but apparently from comments I'm gotten it is. why do they even care so much?

Members don't see this ad.

subtropicmd said:
I'm trying to figure out why certain classmates care if I say that i am interested in a specialty today and maybe a different one next month. I came to med school planning to explore a variety of specialties as much as I could so that I could make an informed decision. so i wasn't born to be an orthopedic surgeon- sorry. I'm also not sure why they would care either. does anyone else find scorn when some one asks you what you want to do and you say that you don't know or it just happens to be something different from what you said a few months ago? and then they don't hear the part about "well I'm thinking or looking into xyz". apparently if you are looking into it is set in stone or something. I'm not sure what it is even a big deal but apparently from comments I'm gotten it is. why do they even care so much?

I couldn't quite decipher what you wrote, but it is not uncommon for people to change their minds about specialties. I actually came across a surgeon who said he would never want someone on his team who came to med school knowing he wanted to be a surgeon, because that was not a decision he felt any smart person could make without some significant exposure, and so anyone who showed up to med school wanting surgery must have made ill informed decisions based on TV or something of that nature.

I'm sorry if I was unclear. I was basically venting the fact that when someone asks me what I want to do and either i list my top 3 or say that i am thinking about something different from what i told them last week, or am reading about a certain specialty I get called fickle or just scorned in general because i am exploring. I am a M3 and I think that it is okay to be exploring with some ideas in mind. However, apparently to some med students it is something that is frowned upon. I'm surprised.

Maybe your excessively sensitive? Never known anyone to care.