Mar 14, 2013
Status
Pre-Medical
I started undergrad as a biology major but then at the end of my freshman year I changed to biochemistry. Then, midway through my first semester of sophomore year I decided to go back to a bio major because I regretted changing thinking upper chem courses would lower my gpa. Now fast forward to first semester junior year, I changed back to biochemistry after doing very well in upper biochem courses that I was able to take as bio credit and because of a new found interest in learning more chemistry. Im going to stay as biochem for sure now. Will it raise any red flags that I changed my major back and forth like this when I apply to med school?

Dec 14, 2013
No, don't worry about it--especially since Biochem and Bio are very similar and no one except you would even notice that you switched. I don't see how taking more challenging classes would ever raise a red flag, unless you do poorly in them. Keep up the good work and remember to enjoy college!

theseeker4

PGY 3
7+ Year Member
Apr 20, 2011
Suburban Detroit, MI
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I started undergrad as a biology major but then at the end of my freshman year I changed to biochemistry. Then, midway through my first semester of sophomore year I decided to go back to a bio major because I regretted changing thinking upper chem courses would lower my gpa. Now fast forward to first semester junior year, I changed back to biochemistry after doing very well in upper biochem courses that I was able to take as bio credit and because of a new found interest in learning more chemistry. Im going to stay as biochem for sure now. Will it raise any red flags that I changed my major back and forth like this when I apply to med school?
I don't think it will cause you any problems. Adcoms are not likely to even know you changed majors so much; even if your transcript says so they probably won't look that closely. If it does come up in interviews, just frame it as both fields fascinate you, and it took you a long time to decide for sure which to major in. As long as the rest of your application is good, this shouldn't affect your chances.

mk04447

Membership Revoked
Removed
Account on Hold
5+ Year Member
Aug 5, 2012
Status
Medical Student
Your college only reports classes you've taken, the score you received, and any programs you complete. Start fifty of them if you want, programs are nothing more than a destination and the scaffolding to get there.

I switched majors a couple times through Freshmen and Sophomore year. It doesn't show up on my official transcript so no one can even tell. And they weren't extremely similar majors either.