Does it matter to med schools if you take your classes out of order?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Intellex

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Due to state budget cuts it has been difficult to crash desired courses for my postbacc, so I've been forced to take them in a weird order, e.g. ochem I before chem II, or biochem before bio II, etc... I've also had to take labs in different semesters than their respective classes.

I've been maintaining a 4.0 regardless, but will medical schools care that I'm taking these classes in such a strange sequence?

Members don't see this ad.

I sure hope not... I'm doing the same thing. Just finishing up a semester with Ochem II and Chem I in the same semester.

Due to state budget cuts it has been difficult to crash desired courses for my postbacc, so I've been forced to take them in a weird order, e.g. ochem I before chem II, or biochem before bio II, etc... I've also had to take labs in different semesters than their respective classes.

I've been maintaining a 4.0 regardless, but will medical schools care that I'm taking these classes in such a strange sequence?
I don't see why they would care. The only danger is that you are going into a class that assumes you have knowledge of things you haven't been taught yet, but since that doesn't seem to be having any detrimental effect on you, you should be good. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
in regards to the pre-reqs, they care about the grades and that's it. if i were younger and more rebellious, i'd take them all backwards, if i knew i could pull the grades.

Eh. Hope not. I'm taking ochm 1 before chm 2. As well as genetics before bio 2 and biochem before orgo 2. As long as you do well you'll be fine.

It only matters that you get the grades you need. Most schools have many, many thousands of applications to look through and won't have time to note the order in which you took your classes. No one will care.