Medical Does it matter what hobbies students have or do adcoms just want to see you have a method of stress relief?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goro

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm sure this question has been asked a lot, but do I need to have a specific type of hobby to be "impressive" for adcoms? I have to admit I don't really have any impressive hobbies; I box, I ride motorcycles, I play video games, lift weights, fish a lot... Maybe that is all impressive since I am a woman and "breaking gender stereotypes" but I don't think any of those really say anything like "I play violin for my university." With that being said, does it matter what hobbies students have or do adcoms just want to see you have a method of stress relief?

Edit: I do study various languages as well, for fun. Spanish for over 8 years, Latin for 5 and now trying to pick up French for 2. I hate that I'm trying to cater my hobbies to looking competitive but this is the information I've been told.
No, you need hobbies to show Adcoms that you are a human being.

Members don't see this ad.

That's refreshing to hear. Maybe it's just the nature of the premeds at my school (and basically every other school) but everyone keeps telling me that I need to learn an instrument or build dang houses in Haiti to be considered.
Ignore the pre-meds.

Do what you love and love what you do.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm sure this question has been asked a lot, but do I need to have a specific type of hobby to be "impressive" for adcoms? I have to admit I don't really have any impressive hobbies; I box, I ride motorcycles, I play video games, lift weights, fish a lot... Maybe that is all impressive since I am a woman and "breaking gender stereotypes" but I don't think any of those really say anything like "I play violin for my university." With that being said, does it matter what hobbies students have or do adcoms just want to see you have a method of stress relief?

Edit: I do study various languages as well, for fun. Spanish for over 8 years, Latin for 5 and now trying to pick up French for 2. I hate that I'm trying to cater my hobbies to looking competitive but this is the information I've been told.

Nope. Choose things you like, and I would not include television or video games just because those tend not to be particularly well looked upon, in my experience. If you like fishing, that's great. Put it on there. If you like weight lifting, put that on there. If you like studying languages, put that on there. It's not a test. Just put what you like to do.

Edit: NOT well looked upon

Hobbies are a way for you to possibly connect with your interviewer and have a conversation. At my interview for the medical school I went to, we literally talked about sports for 3/4 of the interview. One thing you SHOULDN'T do is lie about a hobby. I have heard of stories where applicants say they can play guitar or piano and the interviewer brought one in for the student to play.

• Wow
Members don't see this ad :)
I am receiving my minor certificates in Anthropology and Criminal Justice... not for any particular reason other than loving Forensic sciences (actual degree in Forensics not offered at my uni), even though these are academic technically, they are my hobbies nonetheless. Should I include these too or does this look like a cop-out?
You tell us!

hob·by1
/ˈhäbē/

noun

an activity done regularly in one's leisure time for pleasure.
"her hobbies are reading and gardening"

I am receiving my minor certificates in Anthropology and Criminal Justice... not for any particular reason other than loving Forensic sciences (actual degree in Forensics not offered at my uni), even though these are academic technically, they are my hobbies nonetheless. Should I include these too or does this look like a cop-out?

You're overthinking this. Write down things you like. That's it.
okay will do, thank you :) I think it is a little difficult in premed to not overthink or panic about some things xD

Status
Not open for further replies.