Does it matter what undergraduate university you attend?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psysw

Reaction score
Hi all! I’m new here so I hope I’m posting on he right place! I currently attend a state public research university. It is not the state’s flagship but it is still a reputable school. I chose my university for the price, locality, research opportunities in the school’s psychology department and internship opportunities in the area. I have hopes of going to graduate school in the future for clinical psychology (I’m currently an undergrad freshman). I don’t attend a prestigious university and was wondering if graduate admissions care? How can I stand out against people who attended more prestigious schools? Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Welcome!

No, it doesn't matter that much which undergrad institution you went to in terms of prestige, but it will in terms of individual attention that your professors can provide. For example, it's a bit harder at large state schools to get to know faculty closely and do research with them because they are busy and have a lot of psychology majors to deal with.

The best way to stand out is with your resume: seeking out research experience in the psychology department & working closely with the faculty. If you can, get involved with a research poster presentation or publication, and find related volunteer experience to also boost your resume.

That would be my suggestion!

Reactions: 1 user
Welcome!

No, it doesn't matter that much which undergrad institution you went to in terms of prestige, but it will in terms of individual attention that your professors can provide. For example, it's a bit harder at large state schools to get to know faculty closely and do research with them because they are busy and have a lot of psychology majors to deal with.

The best way to stand out is with your resume: seeking out research experience in the psychology department & working closely with the faculty. If you can, get involved with a research poster presentation or publication, and find related volunteer experience to also boost your resume.

That would be my suggestion!
Thank you so much!

Reactions: 1 user
I'll echo @foreverbull that what you do rather than where you go will be more important. Of course, given all else a name-brand school will help but it is a very small part of the pie. Additionally, your future self will thank you for the lower debt burden.

Reactions: 3 users