Does it matter where I go? USN or UofU? your advice please

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gsinccom

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'll be applying to pharmacy school this Fall/Winter and anticipate starting Fall 2007. How important is the school you go to in landing jobs afterward? What factors are important for landing the type of job you want? I don't want to work retail (or at a hospital, really) but rather prefer working at an outpatient clinic. How hard are residencies to get? I'll be applying to both schools in Utah, since I'm from the state and prefer not to leave as my wife has a good job and is doing her Master's degree here and most of our family is here too. To tell the truth I prefer USN, although UofU is ranked in the Top 15 nationally, because it is 3 years versus 4 and they don't require the PCAT. I already have my bachelors degree, my g.p.a. is above the average acceptee level (3.5-3.7ish) at both schools and I have all of my pre-reqs done. please advise me. also, would I need to do a residency to work in the type of setting I desire and if so what would be best?

Thank you much.

Members don't see this ad.

gsinccom said:
Hi,

I'll be applying to pharmacy school this Fall/Winter and anticipate starting Fall 2007. How important is the school you go to in landing jobs afterward? What factors are important for landing the type of job you want? I don't want to work retail (or at a hospital, really) but rather prefer working at an outpatient clinic. How hard are residencies to get? I'll be applying to both schools in Utah, since I'm from the state and prefer not to leave as my wife has a good job and is doing her Master's degree here and most of our family is here too. To tell the truth I prefer USN, although UofU is ranked in the Top 15 nationally, because it is 3 years versus 4 and they don't require the PCAT. I already have my bachelors degree, my g.p.a. is above the average acceptee level (3.5-3.7ish) at both schools and I have all of my pre-reqs done. please advise me. also, would I need to do a residency to work in the type of setting I desire and if so what would be best?

Thank you much.
leaving opto? :mad:

gsinccom said:
Hi,

Thank you much.

Yes, Blazen I'm likely applying to Opto(two schools out of four I'm considering) and Pharm(two schools, which are the ones mentioned above) both unless I can make up my mind before.

Anyone have any help for me on my questions above? Thanks a bunch