does it matter where you get your BS from?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

victor14

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i need help making a decision please. i will be starting my 2nd year at ucr (cal riverside) in the fall. i was dissmed for poor academic grades so i will be readmitted in the fall. when i get readmitted my gpa will be a 2.0 at the very least. now, i was thinking of a career in chiropractic but im still not sure about it. i wanted to know if i transfer from ucr to a local chiro school here in la that offers a BS in human bio, will that be sufficient enough for dental school? will they hold this against me if i get my BS from a chiro school which is accreddited?

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Actually I had same experience and question. I was dismissed in school for poor academic performance :eek: . I got back in school and Now I have 3.58 gpa and 3.4scigpa with Criminial Justice degree with concentration of forensic. I guess acing DAT will boost the chance of getting in. Good luck!!!!

Wherever you get your BS from, dont get too much of it. LOL j/k
But seriously, they will definetely ask you a question as to why you went to a chiro school instead of just staying at riverside. You will have to explain why you changed from chiro to dentistry (this can be hard...but ppl change from med to dental all the time so if you can find good, true reasons you'll be ok).
BTW, 2.0 is nowhere near where you need to be for dentistry (sorry dont mean to discourage you, just a heads up so that you know what to expect). You need to work hard and boost your grades up to at least a 3.0 to be considered a competitive applicant (and even higher if you're applying for the Cal dental schools).

Good luck in everything!

victor14 said:
i need help making a decision please. i will be starting my 2nd year at ucr (cal riverside) in the fall. i was dissmed for poor academic grades so i will be readmitted in the fall. when i get readmitted my gpa will be a 2.0 at the very least. now, i was thinking of a career in chiropractic but im still not sure about it. i wanted to know if i transfer from ucr to a local chiro school here in la that offers a BS in human bio, will that be sufficient enough for dental school? will they hold this against me if i get my BS from a chiro school which is accreddited?

thanks

I would call around and ask the dental schools that you are interested in going to if they will accept the courses (and BS degree) from the particular chiropractic school you are interested in attending. Moreover, check with AADSAS if they have the chiropractic school listed on their roster. Chances are if it is not listed on their roster, it won't be recognized by the dental schools. To be certain, it won't hurt to speak with the addmissions department at the chiropractic college and ask them if any of their students have experienced difficulties applying and being accepted to dental school (of course, they may lie and tell you they haven't, so you may have to ask for documentation, if possible). Best of luck to you.