Does it matter where you take the MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dashley5109

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, quick question.

So I just tried to sign up for the March 24, 2012 test date for the MCAT. Unfortunately, California isn't listed as a state that has seats available. As this is the case, I am considering taking the MCAT in Arizona on April 5th, 2012.

My question is: does it matter where you take the MCAT? I know the testing centers differ, but do you have to be a resident of the state you take the test in?

Members don't see this ad.

You do not have to be a resident, though it is nice to be able to take it at the most convenient location. My testing center was only about 10 miles away from where I live.

So I just tried to sign up for the March 24, 2012 test date for the MCAT. Unfortunately, California isn't listed as a state that has seats available. As this is the case, I am considering taking the MCAT in Arizona on April 5th, 2012.

My question is: does it matter where you take the MCAT? I know the testing centers differ, but do you have to be a resident of the state you take the test in?

You can take it anywhere. Are there no seats in CA for April 5 or are you going to be in AZ on that date anyway?

You can take it anywhere. Are there no seats in CA for April 5 or are you going to be in AZ on that date anyway?

Unfortunately, there aren't any seats available until May 12th, which is cutting it a bit too close to June 1st. I want to get my application in the very first day possible so I may have the highest chance of getting considered. I go to a small state school that is fairly new so I'm kind of at a disadvantage from the start.

As this is the case, I'm flying out to Arizona the night before just for the test. I think it is a ridiculous scenario, but I've got to do what I've got to do.

By the way, thank you both for that information. I really do appreciate it.

Members don't see this ad :)

I know that a friend of mine who thought that she had registered, but didnt finish the payment process was in the same situation. a month beforehand, she realized that there were no testing locations close so she bought a plane ticket to another state to take the test. all things considered, it would be like another $150 bucks or so plus transportation to/from airport to the testing center.

good luck!

oh, and it helps when you know someone in the city you're flying into to drive you. and you'll have to do the afternoon session if you dont want to stay overnight.

i guess you'd also need an airport fairly close to you too

sorry, one last thing-- you can definitely take the test in another state. for many university students who come from out of state of georgia, they've never had any trouble taking the test in the state

Unfortunately, there aren't any seats available until May 12th, which is cutting it a bit too close to June 1st. I want to get my application in the very first day possible so I may have the highest chance of getting considered. I go to a small state school that is fairly new so I'm kind of at a disadvantage from the start.

As this is the case, I'm flying out to Arizona the night before just for the test. I think it is a ridiculous scenario, but I've got to do what I've got to do.

You can submit your AMCAS before you have your MCAT score. Just put in AMCAS that you took it on May 12th and the score will update when it updates.

You can submit as early as June 1, but the information in your AMCAS isn't even released to schools until around June 17. If you take the May 12 MCAT, your scores will be added several days before AMCAS opens up to your schools, so you will be instantly complete just like you would if you take it in March or April.