Does it matter where your letter writer works?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

midnitetots12

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is a random question, that I just thought about, but does it make a difference (at all) if a letter writer works/is faculty at a school you applied to?

I'm aware if you apply to your undergrad many of your letter writers will be connected to the medical school though. I was talking to some letter writers and I didn't realize they helped teach medical school classes.

Members don't see this ad.

This is a random question, that I just thought about, but does it make a difference (at all) if a letter writer works/is faculty at a school you applied to?

I'm aware if you apply to your undergrad many of your letter writers will be connected to the medical school though. I was talking to some letter writers and I didn't realize they helped teach medical school classes.

a postbacc applicant who works at my clinic scribed for a year in Family Medicine clinic for the Assoc Dean of Admissions at my state university, good GPA, MCAT 521, fluent in Spanish, 400 hours of community service, letters from faculty physicians where they scribed....not even an interview. Then again, 20 applications and not one interview. There is likely a story the person did not tell me but...scribing for a year for the Assoc Dean of Admissions with a 521 MCAT and letters therein....

:shrug:

a postbacc applicant who works at my clinic scribed for a year in Family Medicine clinic for the Assoc Dean of Admissions at my state university, good GPA, MCAT 521, fluent in Spanish, 400 hours of community service, letters from faculty physicians where they scribed....not even an interview. Then again, 20 applications and not one interview. There is likely a story the person did not tell me but...scribing for a year for the Assoc Dean of Admissions with a 521 MCAT and letters therein....

:shrug:
Sounds like there might be a very bad LOR or an IA you don't know about.

Reactions: 4 users