Does it really matter what you make on Step 2

Discussion in 'Step I' started by minime, Nov 15, 2002.

1. minime

minime Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I wondered if it really made any difference what you make on step 2 as long as you pass? Haven't you already applied for the match and prospective residency program will only see step 1?
    Thanks

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. mrpeters714

mrpeters714 Member

Not if you go to a school that requires you to take Step 2 within three months of finishing third year (like my school, UCSD. Any others?) Or if you just want to take it early in case you did poorly on Step 1 and want to show that you've turned things around.

-mrp

4. Mary the Med Student

Don't worry about step 2 unless you're nutty and want to do optho, derm, etc. For those of us who just wanna do peds or family practice, just f*cking pass and you'll be fine.

-Mary

5. nychick

nychick Senior Member

if you are an FMG/IMG some programs require that you pass with a score of 80+. However, this depends on the program and you would have to find out whether it applies to you.

6. Fanconi

Fanconi Senior Member

Mary...:laugh: Finally! Someone else not afraid to drop the f-bomb. I'm taking step 2 on Monday and have really not been good about studying. I'll let y'all know how wingin' it works for me (or doesn't) in a few weeks. :rolleyes: