Does it really matter what you make on Step 2

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

minime

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I wondered if it really made any difference what you make on step 2 as long as you pass? Haven't you already applied for the match and prospective residency program will only see step 1?
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Not if you go to a school that requires you to take Step 2 within three months of finishing third year (like my school, UCSD. Any others?) Or if you just want to take it early in case you did poorly on Step 1 and want to show that you've turned things around.

-mrp

Don't worry about step 2 unless you're nutty and want to do optho, derm, etc. For those of us who just wanna do peds or family practice, just f*cking pass and you'll be fine.

-Mary

if you are an FMG/IMG some programs require that you pass with a score of 80+. However, this depends on the program and you would have to find out whether it applies to you.

Mary...:laugh: Finally! Someone else not afraid to drop the f-bomb. I'm taking step 2 on Monday and have really not been good about studying. I'll let y'all know how wingin' it works for me (or doesn't) in a few weeks. :rolleyes: