Does lack of attendance in class hurt chance of getting into Pharmacy School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RV00192691

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently got an email from my professor that I wasn't going to be passing his course and was getting dropped from the nursing program the other day. I'm not trying to make excuses for why I failed out but anyone that knows me would know my priorities were always at the pharmacy I work at. I would skip lectures and labs frequently whenever my boss would tell me he's short a technician either up front or in the non-sterile lab, I was always happy to work because I genuinely love working in a pharmacy, but the absences from classes and labs were stacking up and it finally caught up to me.

Upon hearing that I failed out of the program, one of the pharmacists tried cheering me up by telling me that I can dedicate my time to going to school for something I actually love and that me failing out could be a blessing in disguise, but the problem is that I feel like no pharmacy school is going to even bother looking at me after failing a program, especially because I failed due to lack of attendance.

Attendance has always been an issue for me and is the main reason my GPA is around 2.8 because an entire letter grade gets dropped for every certain number of days you miss. For example, my Orgo Chem grade dropped from an A to a B and my Microbio grade got dropped from an A to a C.

Would pharmacy schools still look poorly on this if I completed my pre-reqs with complete attendance?
Would they understand that my attendance was only low because I hated nursing but am extremely passionate about pharmacy so I wouldn't skip classes in a pharmacy school?

Members don't see this ad.

they'll just look at your grades on your transcript. You should probably just retake your C and lower courses. And ace the PCAT

If it does come up about nursing and your attendance, they will NOT understand. While working is very important and it seems like you're a very good team player work-wise, you look like a terrible student school-wise. I can understand you hating a program, but that isn't a good enough excuse to miss class and risk dropping your gpa. Because on paper, they won't see that you had an A and dropped to a C or that it's a direct correlation to your attendance, they'll just see that you have a C. And how you look on paper is what they'll see first and will weed you out based on that.

I know how you feel though, school wise and work wise. I did very mediocre in ug because I only had a mindset to "just graduate" and did the minimum to pass. I've been working hard to correct those mistakes now that Ive grown up. It takes a lot of money and time so correct yours now while you can. I've also been working as a tech for 3 years now and have yet to call in because I know how it feels to be short staffed and hate putting my coworkers in that predicament. I also like my check. But at the end of the day, for health professional programs, school comes first.

Reactions: 1 user