Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Does loving Science and Biology mean that you should become a doctor?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Satchfan, Aug 7, 2015.

1. Satchfan

Hi,
    I'm in a big dilemma and I've got depressed because of it. The situation is that I loved science since the days that I remember and I wasn't the kind of guy which only dreamed about Medicine, I was fascinated in almost every branches of science, like Physics; Chemistry; Biology and Technology. I remember that first I was more into Electronics and crazy sophisticated circuits; but when I got older and studied a couple of Biology books (I have a book fetish!) and other resources on the amazing structures of cells, organs and living creatures like humans; I've got the feeling of "Yeah! I should become a doctor and I'll discover an awesome fact or method that I'll be awarded for it.".
    I was dreaming all about to become a discoverer and a famous scientist. I'm from Iran and here we should take a very hard and stupid competitive exam (it's called "Concours"in French; because some part of Iranian terminology is based on French ones) once a year to enter into the top universities and top fields like Medicine; Dentistry and Pharmacy, just like the big "Gaokao" exam which held annually in China.
    I tried this crap 2 times and I failed to enter into a Medical school, like my other friends who buried their dream of becoming a doctor. Now I'm a Software Engineering student and I like it, but sometimes I think about the other side of my interests, I mean all the biological stuff that I used to enjoy learning them. I still find myself watching Ted videos or Khan Academy's health and medicine vids about different fields all about Biology.
    I don't want to experience another "Concours" and I don't know if I have the mental strength of bearing sad things in medicine even if I got passed in the entrance exam, but on the other hand, I don't want to end having fun in the world of Biology... I'm thinking about blending computer and biology, something like Bioinformatics?
    Studying Biology in Iran is just a waste of time, and it pays almost nothing! that's the fact that even the native experts of biology told me. So I decided to study computer software engineering, I feel comfortable with computers and I'm versed with them because of my childhood interest.
    I know for a fact that studying medicine in America is expensive, so I don't think everybody could afford their tuition and probably some people won't be able to study medicine. My question is: Does loving Science and Biology mean that you should become a doctor?
    Every time I see a living creature, I become curious and amazed that how it works better than any human made machines!
    Do you think that I can still enjoy my interest in Biology, Physiology, etc. with my tech field? or should I forget about them?
    Thanks and Please Respond!

#1 Satchfan, Aug 7, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2015
  2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. NotASerialKiller

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    No, there are a million other jobs if you just like science. Applying to med school because you want to be a famous scientist doesn't sound like a very well thought out plan, no offence.
    From your description it sounds like your idea of bioinformatics would be a better fit.

Law2Doc and md-2020 like this.
  4. J Senpai

J Senpai Grab my arm. Other arm. MY other arm.
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Does enjoying baking cakes mean you should open a bakery?

It's important to be interested in the life sciences but, as you seem to understand to a degree, that's not all it takes to be interested enough in medicine to devote so much time to studying it. It's much more than biology.

Consider the biopsychosocial model of healthcare delivery. It is critical to take into account the cultural, psychological, social and physiological factors contributing to the health and wellbeing of each individual patient. I'd argue one should enjoy just as much the social sciences, as they also play such a critical role in what doctors do every day.

Doudline and Goro like this.
  5. Goro

Faculty 7+ Year Member

Non-Student
    No

6. Spector1

Spector1 Orbis non Sufficit
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    There is still a lot of new innovation in the areas between computer science and biological research (medical devices, computational biology, etc). I think you would enjoy working in those fields much more.

7. Cotterpin

Cotterpin Gluconeogenesis Evangelion
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    You should only consider being a doctor if you want to treat patients. It's a job about people.

Law2Doc, Lucca and cherubb3 like this.
  8. cantankerous

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    If science is the most thrilling part, you should just consider doing health-related research, not medicine.

Honestly though, bioinformatics is pretty boring, but maybe you'll enjoy datamining (ugh).

9. Satchfan

I think I don't like data mining too... so how can I involve in health-related researches as you said?

10. Goro

Faculty 7+ Year Member

Non-Student
    Get a PhD in a clinical science, like cancer biology.

11. Satchfan

Thanks for the reply, but is that possible with a computer engineering degree?

12. justin1390

5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    You need to decide if your love for science and the human body is worth the sacrifice you will make for medical school. It's one of the harder things you will do. I love it, but I would not do it all over again, especially since I have a little one at home. Forget about fame/money/prestige. Don't focus on the biology of it, you'll spend more time in paperwork than with patients and diagnostics. Rather, decide if the sacrifice is worth entering medicine because you love science. Wildlife biologists love science too, and I bet they are pretty happy with their job, albeit low salary.

Satchfan likes this.
  13. Holmwood

Holmwood WOW
    2+ Year Member

"Medical engineering" Google this.
    From what I can see, computer engineering has massive applications for the medical field. Do your own research to see where your interests fit. I'm pretty sure you made the right decision with your major. ;P

14. Lucca

Lucca Will Walk Rope for Sandwich
    Moderator Rocket Scientist 5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Absolutely. There is an MD/PhD at MIT in the infectious diseases division who studies biological circuits (how to use biological constructs to mimic or replicate computation, how to understand how living organisms exploit these circuits in nature). There are also many PhDs in this field, it is a pretty hot topic right now (my lab works on something similar while not directly dealing with biocircuits we do study bio-synthetic/bio-mimetic technology).

Be less concerned with what your major is. Be more concerned with taking classes you are interested in, actually getting into the lab and obtaining hands on experience doing research, and having serious conversations with your mentors to figure out if science is the path for you. The thing is that computer engineers going into biology or physics don't magically understand biology and physics. You need some kind of training or exposure be it through classes, a post doc, research experiences etc. to understand what you need to know about those topics in order to apply CE to Biology.

Satchfan likes this.
  15. avgn

avgn Lv 30, HP 85
    2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    Hello everybody, OP is in Iran, let's not talk about all these American programs with him

Lucca and Satchfan like this.