Does Low Critcal Reading Score on Pcat keep you out of pharmacy school ????

Jul 24, 2016
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
Hey Guys !

I just need some advice....

I just took my PCAT and got a 72 composite. I got a 92 in Chem, 87 in Bio, and a 67 in math. However, I did bad on the critical reading scoring only 20. My overall gpa is a 3.5 and I have excellent work experience. I just wanted to know if that score would keep me out of pharmacy school for sure.

I need advice. Thank you in advance !!!

Mar 3, 2016
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
Hey Guys !

I just need some advice....

I just took my PCAT and got a 72 composite. I got a 92 in Chem, 87 in Bio, and a 67 in math. However, I did bad on the critical reading scoring only 20. My overall gpa is a 3.5 and I have excellent work experience. I just wanted to know if that score would keep me out of pharmacy school for sure.

I need advice. Thank you in advance !!!
I would say you're fine with a 72 composite however Ive read on here that some schools have sub score requirements that needs to be at least above a certain percentile. I would contact your preferred school and ask but the schools I've looked into don't say anything like that and that they only look at overall and chemistry percentile.

Jun 2, 2016
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
I would say you're fine with a 72 composite however Ive read on here that some schools have sub score requirements that needs to be at least above a certain percentile. I would contact your preferred school and ask but the schools I've looked into don't say anything like that and that they only look at overall and chemistry percentile.
Which schools are you looking into , if you don't mind me asking?

RxTech15

2+ Year Member
Jul 25, 2016
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
Most schools only look at the composite. I am in the same boat. Verbal and reading brought my composite down last time to in the 60's whereas if I had done well on reading (and had verbal been deleted like it is now), my score would be much much higher.

OP
E
Jul 24, 2016
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
Most schools only look at the composite. I am in the same boat. Verbal and reading brought my composite down last time to in the 60's whereas if I had done well on reading (and had verbal been deleted like it is now), my score would be much much higher.
Thanks for the replies ! I am just nervous that is going to keep me out of pharmacy school but I feel likes its gonna be tough after getting a 92 on Chem.

RxTech15

2+ Year Member
Jul 25, 2016
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
I think the critical reading is getting worse for most people and a lot of pharmacists I have talked to say they did very poorly in RC and verbal but high in everything else. I think it is quite common.

OP
E
Jul 24, 2016
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
T
I think the critical reading is getting worse for most people and a lot of pharmacists I have talked to say they did very poorly in RC and verbal but high in everything else. I think it is quite common.
That is what I was thinking. I am just nervous that it could be a deciding factor.

FuturePharmD92

2+ Year Member
Oct 19, 2015
Status
Pharmacy Student
RC isn't weighed as heavily as math and bio and chem. Your scores are fine. If you're really worried then look at the schools you're thinking about applying to and see if they've got a minimum individual section requirement. I remember one school wouldn't take a score below 20, so just do your research.