Does majoring in Pharmacology better than biology?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lcfan4ever

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
UCSB has both. WOuld it look better on my application and give something extra to talk about during the interview?

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Pharmacology is a huge part of the Pharm.D. I would say majoring in pharmacology would give you a huge advantage in your studies, and a varying advantage in the admissions process of different schools. It certainly won't hurt you.

Pharmacology and Therapeutics at my school is one of the three most prestige Science major programs. People with this degree usually move on to get a MD/phD degree in pharmacology (and medicine)

So yeah, I think using pharmacology for a undergrad degree would help if you want in on pharmacy

Members don't see this ad :)
pharmacology would be a great help in pharmacy school... you should be able to breeze through some of your classes

I was wondering if the major at UCSB would help, even though on the main page it says

"UCSB's Pharmacology major is designed for students with research interests in all areas of the health sciences and is not related to pharmacy training. "

http://www.lifesci.ucsb.edu/undergrad/majors/pharmacology/pharmacology.html

Would I be better off majoring in biochemistry or the pharmacology major?

Find out what you can do with it if you dont make it into pharmacy school as scheduled. Then make your decision.

Find out what you can do with it if you dont make it into pharmacy school as scheduled. Then make your decision.

stupid.gif

Since I have one, I can tell you that with just the degree alone, you can be employed in the biotech or pharmaceutical industry as a research associate. Or you can take a position as a laboratory technician in a research laboratory. For the most part, thats what pharmacology majors end up doing - research related stuff. Some of us end up going into pharmaceutical production, but thats more for the chemistry majors.