lcfan4ever

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 12, 2005
Status
UCSB has both. WOuld it look better on my application and give something extra to talk about during the interview?

thanks

bananaface

Pharmacy Supernerd
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Apr 24, 2004
gone to seed
Status
Pharmacist
Pharmacology is a huge part of the Pharm.D. I would say majoring in pharmacology would give you a huge advantage in your studies, and a varying advantage in the admissions process of different schools. It certainly won't hurt you.

FungManX

The Cure.
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 5, 2005
Status
Pharmacy Student
Pharmacology and Therapeutics at my school is one of the three most prestige Science major programs. People with this degree usually move on to get a MD/phD degree in pharmacology (and medicine)

So yeah, I think using pharmacology for a undergrad degree would help if you want in on pharmacy

ultracet

1K Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 4, 2004
Visit site
Status
pharmacology would be a great help in pharmacy school... you should be able to breeze through some of your classes

DownonthePharm

Chillin' n Fillin'
10+ Year Member
Dec 23, 2004
Oklahoma
Status
Pharmacist
Find out what you can do with it if you dont make it into pharmacy school as scheduled. Then make your decision.

rekesk

10+ Year Member
May 24, 2006
Status
Find out what you can do with it if you dont make it into pharmacy school as scheduled. Then make your decision.

Since I have one, I can tell you that with just the degree alone, you can be employed in the biotech or pharmaceutical industry as a research associate. Or you can take a position as a laboratory technician in a research laboratory. For the most part, thats what pharmacology majors end up doing - research related stuff. Some of us end up going into pharmaceutical production, but thats more for the chemistry majors.