Does May 15th have any bearing on DO school wait-list movement?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedIsInMyBlood

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've heard a few DO wait-listees on here state that they are waiting for May 15th (the day when MD students are forced to drop all their acceptances except for one) because they think the DO wait-lists will start moving then.

I don't want to burst their bubble, but I don't see why May 15th will heavily affect our DO school wait-lists.

Now, May 15th does affect MD wait-list movement because: On May 15th, many MD students were forced to withdraw all of their MD acceptances except for one...which frees up seats at the schools they dropped their acceptances from.

But DO students don't hang on to multiple acceptances, so I don't get why May 15th will affect DO school wait-lists.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I've heard a few DO wait-listees on here state that they are waiting for May 15th (the day when MD students are forced to drop all their acceptances except for one) because they think the DO wait-lists will start moving then.

I don't want to burst their bubble, but I don't see why May 15th will heavily affect our DO school wait-lists.

Now, May 15th does affect MD wait-list movement because: On May 15th, many MD students were forced to withdraw all of their MD acceptances except for one...which frees up seats at the schools they dropped their acceptances from.

But DO students don't hang on to multiple acceptances, so I don't get why May 15th will affect DO school wait-lists.

May 15th, or probably the 16th this year since the 15th was a sunday, is the day where MD applicants can only hold one acceptance. So waitlists at MD schools move, so applicants to DO schools who might have been on those waitlists move, which leads to people withdrawing from DO schools, which subsequently should move DO wait lists. In theory that's what should happen, and often does, but not always...so hold your breath, but any movement that should occur because of this will happen sooner than later, so don't hold it for too long.

May 15th, or probably the 16th this year since the 15th was a sunday, is the day where MD applicants can only hold one acceptance. So waitlists at MD schools move, so applicants to DO schools who might have been on those waitlists move, which leads to people withdrawing from DO schools, which subsequently should move DO wait lists. In theory that's what should happen, and often does, but not always...so hold your breath, but any movement that should occur because of this will happen sooner than later, so don't hold it for too long.

I see. So we are waiting for dual (MD and DO) applicants who have already taken seats at DO schools (and paid their 2,000 deposit) to get off of their wait-lists at an MD school, and then drop their seat at the DO school after deciding to take their MD acceptance. And that will open up that DO school spot for one of us DO school wait-listees.

Here is the May 15th MD thread for those interested in seeing how much movement is going over there: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=615802&page=7

Members don't see this ad :)
I think DO schools should have a similar rule; perhaps by June 15th. Gives plenty of time to students waiting to hear back from MD schools. Ideally by the end of July everyone should know where they are going.

This would help a lot of people because making last minute preparations for med school (like moving in a matter of 2 days) a lot easier. Some schools that start earlier than others (july/early august) wouldn't lose as many students after the 2nd or 3rd week of school because they got off of another DO school's waitlist.

I think DO schools should have a similar rule; perhaps by June 15th. Gives plenty of time to students waiting to hear back from MD schools. Ideally by the end of July everyone should know where they are going.

This would help a lot of people because making last minute preparations for med school (like moving in a matter of 2 days) a lot easier. Some schools that start earlier than others (july/early august) wouldn't lose as many students after the 2nd or 3rd week of school because they got off of another DO school's waitlist.

There is no rule for DO schools. DO schools curb the multiple acceptance game by requiring large deposits.

I second this. This would make wait list movement more predictable so people aren't being held up all summer just to be disappointed . I know that DO schools love making $$ of the huge deposits, but still some sort of cutoff should be implemented. I really can't imagine moving across the country during the first week of classes but probably would if that's when I would of gotten off the wait list of my number 1 choice, although that never happened but still...come on AACOM, let's get our act together with this! :)

I disagree entirely. This would be instituting a "DO as second choice" policy. If there is going to be a deadline, like for MD schools, it should be on the same day.

I disagree entirely. This would be instituting a "DO as second choice" policy. If there is going to be a deadline, like for MD schools, it should be on the same day.

This is true. A later date would be a good way to attract more people with genuine interest in DO. But the only thing is a lot of qualified applicants wouldn't get into med school because let's say they had the same deadline for MD and DO schools. If someone turns down a DO acceptance across the country in hopes of getting off of their state's MD school waitlist...and they don't get off the waitlist then they are screwed. Either way, something needs to be done.

You realize that this would have little effect, especially given that they are under two different applications and as such you could easily just hold your top DO admission until your preferred MD school accepts you. Or do they know what DO schools you're accepted to?

Last edited: