1. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Does Microbiology help for MCAT??

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by paki20, Nov 27, 2005.

1. paki20

paki20 Member
    10+ Year Member

im not a bio major but wanted to take more science classes...i was just wondering whether taking microbiology was an advantage for the mcat? what are some science classes besides the regular prereq. that might help for the mcat?? thanks for any help!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Nikki2002

Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    micro might not help that much....but it's a very interesting class. genetics or molecular/cell biology may help you more with the mcat

4. Twitch

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    It depends on the form you get. Your best bet is to review everything on the AAMC list. Take the advanced class if you feel you need it. Not because of what someone says here.

5. McGillGrad

McGillGrad Building Mind and Body
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Micro will help you in medical school.

Knowing your basic biology class inside and out will help you with the MCAT.

6. HunterGatherer

HunterGatherer HunterGatherer
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Agreed. The amount of micro needed on the MCAT is very small. Printout the AAMC MCAT Topic List and be sure your study guide covers all of it and you are in good shape. EK was good for this in my opinion.

7. Cooolguy

Cooolguy Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I am currently enrolled in microbio right now and it is ridiculously hard at my undergrad institution. As far as MCAT prep, I dont find it helping me too much albeit it is pretty interesting. If you want solely test prep, take cell bio or biochem, they are somewhat related and biochem helps to furthur understand basic chemistry ideas.