Does Microbiology help for MCAT??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

paki20

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
im not a bio major but wanted to take more science classes...i was just wondering whether taking microbiology was an advantage for the mcat? what are some science classes besides the regular prereq. that might help for the mcat?? thanks for any help!

Members don't see this ad.

It depends on the form you get. Your best bet is to review everything on the AAMC list. Take the advanced class if you feel you need it. Not because of what someone says here.

Micro will help you in medical school.

Knowing your basic biology class inside and out will help you with the MCAT.

Members don't see this ad :)
McGillGrad said:
Micro will help you in medical school.

Knowing your basic biology class inside and out will help you with the MCAT.

Agreed. The amount of micro needed on the MCAT is very small. Printout the AAMC MCAT Topic List and be sure your study guide covers all of it and you are in good shape. EK was good for this in my opinion.

I am currently enrolled in microbio right now and it is ridiculously hard at my undergrad institution. As far as MCAT prep, I dont find it helping me too much albeit it is pretty interesting. If you want solely test prep, take cell bio or biochem, they are somewhat related and biochem helps to furthur understand basic chemistry ideas.