1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Does my major help me any?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by ncguy2005, Aug 9, 2006.

1. ncguy2005

ncguy2005 ...
    7+ Year Member

I was just wondering if my major helps any in the application proccess to get into medical school.

I'm a Sophomore majoring in Music Education, I'm assistant Principal trumpet in my school's top ensemble (wind ensemble), and I'm in various other ensembles at the school.

I've always heard that medical schools like the major (several of my professors have even said so at school), but exactly how much weight does it really carry?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. SoupWithAFork

SoupWithAFork Inertia Creeps
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Med schools are emphasizing more and more that major is not a factor in their consideration of an applicant - you can major in anything and still go to med school.

That being said, Music Education is a unique major and will probably be a welcome break from adcoms seeing bio, chem, biochem, etc. over and over again. I'm also majoring in a unique subject, and at the very least it will catch an eye or two, and most probably will be asked about at the interview.

Other than that, a particular major won't make or break you; just make you stand out a little more.

4. ADeadLois

ADeadLois Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Your major will catch the eye of the adcoms, but they will then ask "OK, now what did he/she do with it?" If you can have success with that major, and still have solid health experiences and a good MCAT score, you'll be in good shape.

5. ncguy2005

ncguy2005 ...
    7+ Year Member

I've had a rough freshmen year as far as grades, but I came out in decent shape, with a 3.4 gpa.

As far as being successful with my major, music has opened up so many doors for me, and I'm very glad I chose it as my major. I've gotten to travel and perform in other states, and meet many interesting contemporary composers.

I've also gotten the oppurtunity to work with high school marching bands, which, as dorky as it sounds, is a lot of fun.

I think being a music major has to be similar to the class load of medical school, but probably not nearly as difficult as medicine. My first semester I took twelve credit hours, which doesn't really sound like a lot, but most of my classes were only worth one credit (And all the classes met just as much as a three credit class), so all together I had nine different classes.

6. 63768

63768 Guest
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    it doesn't matter what major you are. yours would draw some interest but that's all it would get you. do what you enjoy, get the good grades and high MCAT/GPA. that's all you have to worry about.

seems like you enjoy music, so kudos.

7. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper Duffman in Disguise
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Just work on the MCAT.

A 3.4 GPA is not bad and it's obvious that you have some good music ECs.

Oh yeah, and don't forget to do some health-related ECs. You have to show the connection between your love of music and love of medicine.
    -Dr. P.

8. Music is an awesome major! I composed played piano/violin since I was like eight. I even conducted the Seattle Symphony in the 8th grade when they performed some of my music.

Personally, I decided not to study much music in undergrad, I wanted to learn more. I am a biology/anthropology major.

I think you will catch HUGE attention from adcoms! Good luck to you!

9. ncguy2005

ncguy2005 ...
    7+ Year Member

The best part of my major is the fact that I have been able to get to know most of the faculty in the music department. My music theory professor (Who went to Eastmen, if anyone knows what that is) almost went to medical school, so I think if I ever needed a good non-science LOR, I'd have plenty of faculty who would be willing to help me.

This thread is very encouraging by the way.

10. DrBowtie

DrBowtie Final Countdown
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Yeah the problem might be getting quality science letters.

Echoing what everyone else said to get clinical experience.