• Set Yourself Up For Success Webinar

October 6, 2021 at 2 PM Eastern/11 AM Pacific
    SDN and Osmosis are teaming up to help you get set up for success this school year! We'll be covering study tips, healthy habits, and meeting mentors.

Register Now!

• Funniest Story on the Job Contest Starts Now!

Contest starts now and ends September 27th. Winner will receive a special user banner and $10 Amazon Gift card!

JOIN NOW
  • Site Updates Coming Next Week

Site updates are coming next week on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Click the button below to learn more!

LEARN MORE

Does my PhD/research make up for my low GPA?

phmder

May 28, 2019
  1. Pre-Medical
Undergrad GPA (cumulative): ~3.2 (Upward trend; Y1: 2.9, Y2: 2.7, Y3: 3.5, Y4: 3.7, sGPA is the same)
Grad school GPA: 3.9.

Research (clinically intensive): I built a novel medical device and translated it to 3 different patient populations in separate clinical trials.
6 first author publications (12 pubs total)
$200,000 in scholarships and awards (Doctoral NSERC-CGSD was the big one)
40+ conference abstracts/presentations (~15 international).

Tons of volunteering/leadership/committee stuff from undergrad/grad.

I really turned it around from my first few years in undergrad and became a top-tier graduate student at my university. Schools in Canada don't look past my undergrad GPA (haven't had any luck with UofT). Should I expect the same thing in the states, or are schools more forgiving?

I wrote the MCAT during my PhD and got a 507. I am debating a rewrite following my defense if I find some schools that will consider my application if I score high enough.

Bonus: I was offered a post-doc at Harvard. I'm considering this just for the experience/opportunity to do amazing research, but the end goal is clinician-scientist. Does it hold any weight if I pursue this before applying?

Any/all thoughts appreciated, thanks.

Nov 18, 1999
  1. Attending Physician
Do the postdoc.
Your chances at the regular MD admissions process are not good. You will get filtered out by MD admissions for low undergrad GPA before anyone gets a chance to look at your research achievements. I think the only way into MD would be a specialized PhD-to-MD program or an 'in' at your home institution (like if your PI would help you get through initial admissions filters).

Reactions: 1 users
About the Ads

pretysmitty

5+ Year Member
Nov 7, 2015
I’d go to harvard and attempt to really crush the MCAT. If you do really well, then you can try applying DO. You might be more limited to clinical rsrch, but it’s possible something like a 517+ can get you some MD’s despite your gpa.

Reactions: 1 user

EvoMed

2+ Year Member
Feb 16, 2019
  1. Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
If you smash the MCAT you'll get some looks from med schools. Can't put a timeline on that though, especially given the uncertainty of these times. Take the post-doc position while you work through these questions

About the Ads
This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.