Does my school have accreditation after the ECFMG rule change in 2024? They have CAAM-HP accreditation but no sponsor notes currently?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Milk253

Reaction score
The school I want to go to has no sponsor notes but has CAAM-HP accreditation.

According to this the rules are changing after 2024 and "The WFME Recognition Programme is the only programme accepted by ECFMG at the current time for the recognition of medical school accrediting agencies"
ECFMG 2023 policy - World Federation for Medical Education

On the CAAM-HP website it says WFME extend CAAM-HP's recognition status until 2023
WFME extends CAAM-HP’s Recognition Status – Caribbean Accreditation Authority for Education in Medicine and Other Health Professions

So is CAAM-HP recognition enough for accreditation for the school. The school says that it is enough but it is a carribean medical school and I do not want to get scammed.

Members don't see this ad.

1) You might want to actually say what the school is so looking at their official status is possible...

2) Yes, CAAM-HP accreditation is what is required to be WFME eligible and thus eligible for the match. Idk what sponsor notes you are referring to.

3) It's the Caribbean, they all scam to a certain degree, some more so than others, even if they aren't scamming you in this particular scenario FYI.

1) You might want to actually say what the school is so looking at their official status is possible...

2) Yes, CAAM-HP accreditation is what is required to be WFME eligible and thus eligible for the match. Idk what sponsor notes you are referring to.

3) It's the Caribbean, they all scam to a certain degree, some more so than others, even if they aren't scamming you in this particular scenario FYI.
The school is called Commonwealth University College of medicine. I know it's not a known school but unfortunately due to reasons it is one of my only options right now.

This is their CAAM-HP page: Commonwealth University College of Medicine – Caribbean Accreditation Authority for Education in Medicine and Other Health Professions
Their accreditation ended in 2021 and they claim all the Caribbean schools are in the same situation as them where they couldn't get reaccredited due to COVID. They say they will get a site visit for reaccreditation at the end of the year or early next year.

Members don't see this ad :)
The school is called Commonwealth University College of medicine. I know it's not a known school but unfortunately due to reasons it is one of my only options right now.
I'll be blunt with you since this could be a financially disastrous mistake. Irrespective of the accreditation status, you should just not go to this school. These no-name places generally have bad attrition and Step pass rates. Plus if you're in a position where you can't get into a bigger name Caribbean school, I have concerns about your ability to handle the coursework of medical school.

This is their CAAM-HP page: Commonwealth University College of Medicine – Caribbean Accreditation Authority for Education in Medicine and Other Health Professions
Their accreditation ended in 2021 and they claim all the Caribbean schools are in the same situation as them where they couldn't get reaccredited due to COVID. They say they will get a site visit for reaccreditation at the end of the year or early next year.
They could very well lose the accrediation at any point during the time you are there seeing as how they have no track record for more than initial accreditation. I'm a carib student and pretty well versed in the various schools; I have never even heard of this one though. There's zero reason to go here over Ross or AUC. If you failed to get into either of them then take it as a very good sign that you'd fail out miserably because there's no reason why they wouldn't want your money.

To simply answer your question though, as of this date they are considered to have candidacy but that could very easily change once a site visit is done. Candidacy is given pretty easily and a lot of undeserving schools fail to gain full accrediation status once the site visit rolls around. Students are US residency eligible during this candidacy period. Even if you are one of the few that make it through all 4 years, a follow up site visit could destroy your years of work. This is a no name school with only a couple hundred students and no viewable residency placements on the dodgy looking website, if I were to bet I'd say they lose it.

Last edited:
They could very well lose the accrediation at any point during the time you are there seeing as how they have no track record for more than initial accreditation. I'm a carib student and pretty well versed in the various schools; I have never even heard of this one though. There's zero reason to go here over Ross or AUC. If you failed to get into either of them then take it as a very good sign that you'd fail out miserably because there's no reason why they wouldn't want your money.

To simply answer your question though, as of this date they are considered to have candidacy but that could very easily change once a site visit is done. Candidacy is given pretty easily and a lot of undeserving schools fail to gain full accrediation status once the site visit rolls around. Students are US residency eligible during this candidacy period. Even if you are one of the few that make it through all 4 years, a follow up site visit could destroy your years of work. This is a no name school with only a couple hundred students and no viewable residency placements on the dodgy looking website, if I were to bet I'd say they lose it.
Speaking of dodgy websites, they misspelled "started" on the "get started" button!

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 3 users
I wouldn't go unless you were really keen on the idea of throwing away 4 years of your life and piles of money, given the issues with accreditation being uncertain and reputation being nonexistent.

Speaking of dodgy websites, they misspelled "started" on the "get started" button!
The hospital affiliations page says "still updating." That is actually your first red flag.

Reactions: 1 user