Does "no update letters" really mean no update letters?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gabyoh23

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've seen lots of people on here advise applicants to send out update letters/letters of intent to schools if they're not yet accepted, but I just so happen to be in limbo with two schools that have explicitly stated that they will not accept update letters (and by extension, I assume letters of intent).

Do people still send in update letters even if the schools have said that they're not interested in them?

(The schools I'm referring to are VCU and Albany, btw, if that makes any difference. I know that both schools rank, and I guess their logic is that once you're assigned a rank, you're not moving from it.)

Members don't see this ad.

I ignored the admissions office at one school (they said not to send updates), sent in a LOI email to the dean. of admissions, got an interview and then got in. (So a little different in it was a pre-interview LOI). But I figure you have nothing to lose and, perhaps, something to gain. So go for it. The caveat being you email someone a little higher on the totem pole. If you email the office, they will follow their message embargo and ignore you.

I ignored the admissions office at one school (they said not to send updates), sent in a LOI email to the dean. of admissions, got an interview and then got in. (So a little different in it was a pre-interview LOI). But I figure you have nothing to lose and, perhaps, something to gain. So go for it. The caveat being you email someone a little higher on the totem pole. If you email the office, they will follow their message embargo and ignore you.
I'm not entirely sure about the nothing to lose portion, for example, USC explicitly stated no updates until after May 15th, and I have heard that they dock "points" if you do send them updates because it shows that you're incapable of following instructions and impatient. If they say no updates, I would take that advice and not send any updates.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not entirely sure about the nothing to lose portion, for example, USC explicitly stated no updates until after May 15th, and I have heard that they dock "points" if you do send them updates because it shows that you're incapable of following instructions and impatient. If they say no updates, I would take that advice and not send any updates.
I agree. Look at it as a test of reading comprehension and don't fail it. Some schools will just throw updates in the trash, but why take the chance that your action will actually adversely effect your application.

Reactions: 1 user
Exactly. Read the fine print. One school I applied to said "updates may not be included in your application after Oct 22nd". I sent one anyway because they didn't say not to.

No updates means no updates. Some people may have been successful in sending in update letters anyway, but don't take the chance. There are schools that will definitely throw your application in the trash if you don't follow instructions. UMich is an example.

Reactions: 1 users
It's best to follow the rules, especially of they're so clearly stated

Yeah ... Albany was pretty adamant about the no updates thing.

Most schools, it seems, pull from the waitlist by 'fit' and less by rank. In those cases, you'd want to send updates frequently, but it doesn't really help you at schools where they don't adjust rank after interview.

I understand docking some points but completely tossing your app for sending an update is like a kid throwing a tantrum

I came here to say this, glad someone pointed this out. I wouldn't recommend going against what the admissions office says re: LOI/updates.

I understand docking some points but completely tossing your app for sending an update is like a kid throwing a tantrum

I doubt they toss apps out for this unless the applicant were borderline waitlist/reject.

Yeah ... Albany was pretty adamant about the no updates thing.

Most schools, it seems, pull from the waitlist by 'fit' and less by rank. In those cases, you'd want to send updates frequently, but it doesn't really help you at schools where they don't adjust rank after interview.
You should never send updates "frequently" on update/LOI after interviewing is sufficient. If you REALLY like the school and get wait listed then maybe another update/LOI would be appropriate. Anything more is excessive.

I would auto reject anyone sending an update letter when it says not to. Want to be on professional school? Act professional and follow instructions.

Reactions: 1 user
If you are so "special" as an applicant (on your best behavior) that you don't need to follow reasonable instructions, imagine how special you might be as a medical student! Now imagine a whole class full of these special folks. I think you get the picture.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 3 users
What part of no update letters don't you understand? Watch out on the VR portion of MCAT

I've seen lots of people on here advise applicants to send out update letters/letters of intent to schools if they're not yet accepted, but I just so happen to be in limbo with two schools that have explicitly stated that they will not accept update letters (and by extension, I assume letters of intent).

Do people still send in update letters even if the schools have said that they're not interested in them?

(The schools I'm referring to are VCU and Albany, btw, if that makes any difference. I know that both schools rank, and I guess their logic is that once you're assigned a rank, you're not moving from it.)

If you are so "special" as an applicant (on your best behavior) that you don't need to follow reasonable instructions, imagine how special you might be as a medical student! Now imagine a whole class full of these special folks. I think you get the picture.
I sent an update to a school post interview but it turned out they didn't accept them. I legitimately didn't know this was a thing. Sometimes it's not an arrogance or a "I'm special" situation. Do I deserve to have my application get thrown away for something like that? I guess it was my fault for assuming all schools took updates. Obviously I'm not fit to be a doctor

I sent an update to a school post interview but it turned out they didn't accept them. I legitimately didn't know this was a thing. Sometimes it's not an arrogance or a "I'm special" situation. Do I deserve to have my application get thrown away for something like that? I guess it was my fault for assuming all schools took updates. Obviously I'm not fit to be a doctor
It does depend on the emphasis placed on the admonition, but attention to detail is also an important quality! The appearance of an attempt to gain an advantage over one's peers by sidestepping the rules might be presumed.

Last edited by a moderator: