Does not getting an interview invite right away mean bad things lie ahead?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MiesVanDerMom

D.o. or Die
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I submitted my secondaries very quickly, like the day they came out. And now people are beginning to get interviews at some of my schools and I am not among them. Is it a very bad sign if you're complete and then don't get an interview invite within a certain number of weeks?

Members don't see this ad.

not at all. there is no right or wrong way that schools hand out interviews. you shouldn't let it worry you...it's only July! You have 6-8 months of interview season ahead of you!!!

OMG - So don't worry. It's JULY!! I'm not even expecting interviews from any place (other than TX state schools - notoriously early interviewers) until September.

Members don't see this ad :)
MiesVanDerMom said:
So I submitted my secondaries very quickly, like the day they came out. And now people are beginning to get interviews at some of my schools and I am not among them. Is it a very bad sign if you're complete and then don't get an interview invite within a certain number of weeks?

Seriously, don't worry about it at this point.

I got interviews from places months after I was complete.

MollyMalone said:
Seriously, don't worry about it at this point.

I got interviews from places months after I was complete.

Agree. Folks still get interviews through the winter and into the spring. But if you start worrying now, you will have a nice ulcer-related medical experience to talk about in the interview. So its win win. :D

Do they even give out invites in July? Jeez. Me and my friends didnt start getting them till September last year.

I think that "interview invitation" thread do more harm than good.

Hey MiesVanDerMom,

You know what? You're definitely voicing the fear that all of us first-time applicants are having, seeing as there are already interview invites. But I am rationalizing it by reminding myself that the MAJORITY of those invites are from the Texas schools, which are on a different system than everyone else. Pitt still has a TON of interviews to give out, so does Pritzker. I bet they haven't even reviewed a huge # of applications yet...I'm sure the number complete is probably still in the hundreds.

:luck: We're going to do this.
By the way the new pic of your son is sooooo precious. I can't get over how cute he is. :love:

Sweet Jesus....nearly half the schools haven't even released their secondaries yet. Can't get an interview without the secondary.

We are talking about schools that DO have secondaries out, where people are already COMPLETE and already getting INTERVIEWS. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I can't read or write

jackieMD2007 said:
We are talking about schools that DO have secondaries out, where people are already COMPLETE and already getting INTERVIEWS. :)

jackieMD2007 said:
Hey MiesVanDerMom,

You know what? You're definitely voicing the fear that all of us first-time applicants are having, seeing as there are already interview invites. But I am rationalizing it by reminding myself that the MAJORITY of those invites are from the Texas schools, which are on a different system than everyone else. Pitt still has a TON of interviews to give out, so does Pritzker. I bet they haven't even reviewed a huge # of applications yet...I'm sure the number complete is probably still in the hundreds.

:luck: We're going to do this.
By the way the new pic of your son is sooooo precious. I can't get over how cute he is. :love:
agreed, MVDM, your son is adorable!!!

don't freak out. it's so early in the game and anything can (and will) happen!

I was freaking out for a while, too.... seems like so long since I submitted AMCAS/verified/etc (early June).

But after looking over last years dates for invites, none of the schools I care about even started until August..... and most were the END of August. So, I've calmed down.

Now, if someone were to get a UMDNJ or Temple invite, I would have a nervous breakdown, kick, scream and cry..... but let's hope that doesn't happen!

MiesVanDerMom said:

I've been asking myself this about the TX schools, and then telling myself to shut up, and then asking myself all over again... I think the best strategy is to give up any illusion that we can control or explain the things that are about to happen during this interview season. :rolleyes:

It's possible they screened out everybody with GPA <3.5 and I'm SOL. But it's also possible that my app just happens to be at the bottom of their review pile, and they haven't gotten to it yet. I'm going to be as fat, dumb, and happy as possible until it's time to take some action (such as call and find out, send a letter or interest, something like that.)

Pemberley said:
I've been asking myself this about the TX schools, and then telling myself to shut up, and then asking myself all over again... I think the best strategy is to give up any illusion that we can control or explain the things that are about to happen during this interview season. :rolleyes:

It's possible they screened out everybody with GPA <3.5 and I'm SOL. But it's also possible that my app just happens to be at the bottom of their review pile, and they haven't gotten to it yet. I'm going to be as fat, dumb, and happy as possible until it's time to take some action (such as call and find out, send a letter or interest, something like that.)

Eh, I highly doubt a < 3.5 screen (especially without any consideration given to your MCAT score). More likely that they're just sifting through all those applications. It'll work out.

I dunno, from what I gathered, if you fetched interviews earlier (like now till oct) you had an easier time throughout the rest of the process because it probably meant you got acceptances earlier. If you were on the late side, you'd have to wait.. and waaaait.. and then waaaaaaaaaait some more (up until May or June) until you got any sense of where you were going to school.

so essentially there are those who get all their interviews immediately, and those who have to WAIT months to hear anything.

just me? or what?

don't worry, don't worry. interview invites in july are pretty much freak occurrences. i was at a december interview this past cycle where the admissions person greeted us by saying, "congrats on getting such early interviews." so, you have no need to worry. i was complete at all of my schools by the end of july last year and 4/8 of my interviews still came after winter break. so, just try and sit back and not fret over it (i know, easier said than done). best of luck!

bumping this as a counterattack to the growing interview invites thread

Excellent. I really wish people would STOP TALKING in there as well. I know I am guilty of this as well (it just comes up as word vomit), but I really don't want that thread to pop up unless someone is adding to it....it is making me nervous! :p

jackieMD2007 said:
Excellent. I really wish people would STOP TALKING in there as well. I know I am guilty of this as well (it just comes up as word vomit), but I really don't want that thread to pop up unless someone is adding to it....it is making me nervous! :p

This UPitt automatic interview business has given me a queasy feeling. I can just sense that rejection letter already being written... :mad:

Hey Schaden, I know. I know. It hurts me that UPitt has such a great website, talking about how they care so much about people and being 'a different kind of medical school'...and then doesn't even look at secondaries or LOR before sending out interviews. Guess what? You're top-rate at UPitt if you have the scores and GPA...doesn't sound too 'different' to me.

EDIT: UPitt is still one of my top choices...I am hoping they pick other candidates to interview based on our EC's, our essays and all of the rest. Even if that interview is later than Sept.

So it's confirmed that U Pitt are giving automatic interviews based on numbers before secondaries and LOR are received?

silkworm said:
So it's confirmed that U Pitt are giving automatic interviews based on numbers before secondaries and LOR are received?
This has to be the case...I submitted my application at 8:40 last night and got an interview invite around 9 this morning. There's no way they could have looked over my application in any detail and I don't have my letters in yet.

Pitt gave both Erina and kiwibasket interviews without LOR.
Erina wouldn't lie about that. I am happy for her, she is a rad girl.
I don't know many of the others who are on that thread :)

jackieMD2007 said:
Pitt gave both Erina and kiwibasket interviews without LOR.
Erina wouldn't lie about that. I am happy for her, she is a rad girl.
I don't know many of the others who are on that thread :)
awww thanks! hopefully you'll hear something soon and if you haven't heard anything by mid-september (ugh, sorry if that thought makes you sick to your stomach), i'll bribe someone important at my interview so they remember what a great applicant you are! :clap:

The automatic interview does seem pretty unfair when you think about it. Numbers don't say very much.

Erina said:
awww thanks! hopefully you'll hear something soon and if you haven't heard anything by mid-september (ugh, sorry if that thought makes you sick to your stomach), i'll bribe someone important at my interview so they remember what a great applicant you are! :clap:

The automatic interview does seem pretty unfair when you think about it. Numbers don't say very much.

You are a doll. The numbers do say something: you kicked some ass on the MCAT! I am genuinely happy for the people who already have interviews. My ire is only directed at the schools, the system. The fellow applicants? You guys ROCK on! :horns:

Erina said:

Hey don't knock the automatic interview. That's my meal ticket!! God knows if the school looks closely at the rest of my app they'll run away screaming. :scared: :laugh:

Anastasis said:
Hey don't knock the automatic interview. That's my meal ticket!! God knows if the school looks closely at the rest of my app they'll run away screaming. :scared: :laugh:
hahaha ok i'll admit it, i AM kinda thankful. now i can work my magic at the interview and pray they don't notice all the crap that i feel like i wrote down on my application.

BUT, for people who didn't make the cutoff for one reason or another, i know it's frustrating. jackie, you just keep holding on and when you do get that interview, rock them with your amazing personality. :D

Hey guys don't get me wrong- anyone with the numbers to make a UPitt automatic interview (seems to be 35+, 3.7+) deserves to get into any school (barring they're not a complete douche).

This ride is just beginning and we'll all be in white coats come next fall. :D :thumbup:

Schaden Freud said:
Hey guys don't get me wrong- anyone with the numbers to make a UPitt automatic interview (seems to be 35+, 3.7+) deserves to get into any school (barring they're not a complete douche).

This ride is just beginning and we'll all be in white coats come next fall. :D :thumbup:
What is with this prejudice SDN seems to have against complete douches!?! Don't we deserve to get into med school as well!?!

;)

I think adcoms really prefer semi-douches. Easier to break.

Anastasis said:
What is with this prejudice SDN seems to have against complete douches!?! Don't we deserve to get into med school as well!?!

;)

Anastasis said:

;)

I think it's the fragrance. Puts people off. :D

silkworm said:

You have to have your secondary in, but LOR's don't have to be received yet.

Who else got a brochure from UPitt in the mail? Person to Person, baby. Woo!! At first I was like, OH NO! This can't be the worlds' largest rejection letter, can it? :laugh:

jackieMD2007 said:
Who else got a brochure from UPitt in the mail? Person to Person, baby. Woo!! At first I was like, OH NO! This can't be the worlds' largest rejection letter, can it? :laugh:
I got it. I was so excited and then when I opened it, I saw that it was the same brochure that I got at a grad school fair last fall. Nothing new and exciting after all :(

Eh, it's not UPitt that gives automatic interviews, it's the 4.0 and 35 that give you an automatic interview! It makes complete sense, it doesn't cost them anything to do it and they'll have plenty of time to read the essays before they need to make an actual decision. I guarantee there are a lot more schools that work this way too, making heartfelt earnest decisions about thousands of applicants would be awesome but is hardly even possible.

jackieMD2007 said:

Yep. I wonder if everyone got it?

Must have cost them quite a bit to send that thing to thousands of applicants.

jackieMD2007 said:
Hey Schaden, I know. I know. It hurts me that UPitt has such a great website, talking about how they care so much about people and being 'a different kind of medical school'...and then doesn't even look at secondaries or LOR before sending out interviews. Guess what? You're top-rate at UPitt if you have the scores and GPA...doesn't sound too 'different' to me.

EDIT: UPitt is still one of my top choices...I am hoping they pick other candidates to interview based on our EC's, our essays and all of the rest. Even if that interview is later than Sept.

I had the same thought when I got their booklet in the mail. It said how they're looking for creative people and I couldnt help but think ,"yeah creative people with really high stats!". I keep reminding myself this process is non-sensical and cruel and I still have a shot for months to come...

I live in pittsburgh with my family so if I don't get in here, it is a significant disappointment for me on a lot of levels. I wish they weren't giving out interviews like candy in JULY this year. last year they were running late as i recall...

MiesVanDerMom said:
I had the same thought when I got their booklet in the mail. It said how they're looking for creative people and I couldnt help but think ,"yeah creative people with really high stats!". I keep reminding myself this process is non-sensical and cruel and I still have a shot for months to come...

I live in pittsburgh with my family so if I don't get in here, it is a significant disappointment for me on a lot of levels. I wish they weren't giving out interviews like candy in JULY this year. last year they were running late as i recall...

Damn!! Submitted Pitt two nights ago and no interview lol. I guess that means AUTOMATIC rejection :smuggrin:

Eh, it was a reach anyways :rolleyes:

I posted this somewhere else as well, but when I called up Columbia to see what they had in my file, the woman on the phone told me that the ad com doesn't even ARRIVE at Columbia until mid-late August. The staffers in the office at Columbia haven't even started making files for us yet. Can you imagine the boxes of letters and stuff? But I digress.

Currently, there are around 60+ secondaries available. There are 120+ US schools. (We're still waiting on a LOT of secondaries!!!)

Second, the schools that ARE taking secondaries and that ARE making files for people, are just getting started. Their ad coms probably aren't even going to start looking at the new files until August. Their new classes are just starting, and they have to make final decisions if there is one more seat, etc.

I think Pitt is the wild exception to the rule. And, the Texas schools have a different system. But no where is like Texas. :cool:

not having an interview by the end of july is like crying because you only got a 40 on your MCAT. seriously. YOU'LL BE FINE! it's good to take a step back from SDN every once in a while...i remember being in your shoes last year and getting upset that i hadn't received some invites like a week (gasp!) after the first one was posted on SDN. it's not worth the stress - schools are random about this stuff, so you can't make ANY assumptions!

good :luck:

http://www.mdapplicants.com/viewprofile.php?id=3609

Zoom-Zoom said:
Eh, it's not UPitt that gives automatic interviews, it's the 4.0 and 35 that give you an automatic interview! It makes complete sense, it doesn't cost them anything to do it and they'll have plenty of time to read the essays before they need to make an actual decision. I guarantee there are a lot more schools that work this way too, making heartfelt earnest decisions about thousands of applicants would be awesome but is hardly even possible.

Folks with a 4.0/35+ who interview well will likely have multiple choices. If you are a UPitt type school and want to try and snag a few of these folks before the top twenty even get a look at them, it pays to identify them with an early and start wooing them -- with personal contacts, second looks visits, etc. Just a guess.

My experience was that Pitt isn't only considering stats, because I got an "automatic" invite too. I was a late applicant to Pitt last year (got my AMCAS in just before the deadline), and they still sent me the secondary right away. I sent it in at midnight, and there was an interview invite in my inbox at 9 AM the following morning. Considering how complex ANYONE's app is (and especially mine!), there is no way they could have done it based on a thorough read-through. So how did they decide to do it? Who knows? The workings of adcoms are indeed mysterious. But there is no way that they would have done it based it on my stellar 3.7+ GPA. :p

Every school is different, and July is really early for getting interview invites. I only had one at this point last year. It's definitely way too soon to panic. The one piece of advice that I would give you guys is to not have your heart set on any one school right off the bat if you can possibly help it. It's fine to have a favorite or two, but be openminded and give your other schools a chance also. If you'd asked me where I thought I would end up a year ago, I would have been wrong, wrong, wrong. You don't know ahead of time where you will love and where you won't. I was constantly being surprised throughout this process as I fell in love with schools I hadn't initially considered seriously and realized that others that I thought I'd love weren't the best fit for me. Also, it's perfectly normal for you to turn in secondaries in July and August and not hear from schools until December or January. All I can say about that is that this whole app process sucks big time. Welcome to the club. And :luck: to you all.

QofQuimica said:
My experience was that Pitt isn't only considering stats, because I got an "automatic" invite too. I was a late applicant to Pitt last year (got my AMCAS in just before the deadline), and they still sent me the secondary right away. I sent it in at midnight, and there was an interview invite in my inbox at 9 AM the following morning. Considering how complex ANYONE's app is (and especially mine!), there is no way they could have done it based on a thorough read-through. So how did they decide to do it? Who knows? The workings of adcoms are indeed mysterious. But there is no way that they would have done it based it on my stellar 3.7+ GPA. :p

So you are saying it's just keyed to your very high MCAT? Interesting.

Law2Doc said:
I don't know. That seems to be a reasonable conclusion. Or maybe they used my grad school GPA. Either way, I was pretty shocked to hear from them that fast; it had never happened to me before. (I did not, for example, get an automatic invite to U Mich., presumably because of my GPA.) I had a contact at Pitt that I had made when I decided to apply there. When I told this person that it was like the school was just waiting for me to send in the secondary like a formality so that they could send me the interview invite, I was told that they WERE indeed waiting on me. So they apparently did not consider my secondary at all in their interview invite decision; it was solely based on the AMCAS. All that aside, I am sure there are some high-MCAT scorers who will come on here now and tell us about how Pitt didn't automatically interview them or even rejected them. Like I said before, the way that adcoms work is totally beyond my understanding. I don't advise that anyone bother wasting their time trying to understand adcoms. :p

Law2Doc said:
Somehow I think the adcoms like to brag to the other adcoms if they were able to pull the highest MCAT scores to their school from the year before or something.
Although I heard of someone who got a 41 getting mad interviews, and just as many rejections becasue their personailty was compleatly cross-wired.

QofQuimica said:
Like I said before, the way that adcoms work is totally beyond my understanding. I don't advise that anyone bother wasting their time trying to understand adcoms. :p

Adcoms are composed of human beings, and are largely composed of a pretty homogeneous group (well educated; physicians and PhDs and Deans at academic medical facilities). And we have a pretty good idea of their ultimate mission -- to put together a "good fit" class of highly qualified individuals. So one could put together a profile of them and guestimate their probably actions much like the FBI does when tracking serial killers. However you would need some algorithm of what constitutes a "good fit" for each particular school (eg. X% scientists, Y% nontrads, Z% in state, W% URM, etc), a sense of the subjective personality decisions they are making regarding candidates (eg. John Smith is brilliant but too much of an introvert, so we are passing on him) and a sense of the range of credentials they are seeing in the applicant pool. And then you would need to take into account that there are many variations of personality on each adcom, homogeneity notwithstanding. So it would be conceivable to understand and even predict adcoms, but would probably take a team of psychologists and a pretty good mainframe computer devoted to the task.
But imagine the money you could make from SDN'ers if you assembled such a team and could give people realistic answers to the persistent "what are my chances" questions. :laugh: