Does not having a committee letter hinder my application?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PearlyTooth

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a junior and a transfer student at my college. Being that I only transferred this semester, I have already completed most of my math and science courses at my previous school. My current's school's Pre-Health Committee has a requirement that 38 math and science credits along with a minimum of four lab courses be completed at their school in order to qualify for a committee letter. With the calculations that I have done, I may have around 30-35 math and science credits and definitely will not have a minimum of four lab courses considering I have completed most of those at my previous school. My question is if this will put me at a disadvantage among other applicants because I will not have a committee letter? Is there any where for me to explain the reasoning behind my not having the committee letter despite my school having a Pre-Health Committee? I do have a recommendation from my Chemistry and Physics professors from my previous schools, and will be getting one from my Organic Chemistry Professor from my current school, as well as other professional letters. I hope this is sufficient enough and that the the school's I am applying to will not think poorly of my application's lack of the letter.

Members don't see this ad.

It will not hinder your application and in the event that it is brought up in your interview (depending on the school) you have a valid reason. Dont stress about it, just make sure the LORs you do have are strong.

Reactions: 1 users
It won't hinder your application at all. I got plenty of acceptances without a committee letter. Just make sure that the people who do write you one really like you!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Same as the others have said. I got 2 acceptances and had individual letters. However, make sure you know what schools are looking for if you don't have a committee letter. For example, most prefer 2 science professor letters, another professor (non-science or science if you wish) letter, the dentist you've shadowed, and sometimes specific schools can request an employer, spiritual leader, or other letter if you have them.

Reactions: 1 user
I am currently a junior and a transfer student at my college. Being that I only transferred this semester, I have already completed most of my math and science courses at my previous school. My current's school's Pre-Health Committee has a requirement that 38 math and science credits along with a minimum of four lab courses be completed at their school in order to qualify for a committee letter. With the calculations that I have done, I may have around 30-35 math and science credits and definitely will not have a minimum of four lab courses considering I have completed most of those at my previous school. My question is if this will put me at a disadvantage among other applicants because I will not have a committee letter? Is there any where for me to explain the reasoning behind my not having the committee letter despite my school having a Pre-Health Committee? I do have a recommendation from my Chemistry and Physics professors from my previous schools, and will be getting one from my Organic Chemistry Professor from my current school, as well as other professional letters. I hope this is sufficient enough and that the the school's I am applying to will not think poorly of my application's lack of the letter.

I did NOT use a committee letter when my school actually offers it. Ended up with 6 pre-dec interviews and 3 acceptances on dec 2nd(one of the school that accepted me even RECOMMEND a committee letter). NONE of my interviewers asked about the letter.

Reactions: 1 users