Does optometry school mostly cover Anatomy and physiology (of the eye) ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Apple_Pie

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I was talking to an optometrist, and he told me optometry school mostly covers anatomy and physiology. I told him I suck in biochem and chemistry in general and he told me not to worry about it as biochem and chemistry is covered very little in optometry school. He Also told me that very few physics (mostly optics) is covered so I don't have to worry about momentum, kinetics, etc.

I told him I am good in biology, so he told me knowledge of Biology is what is most needed to succeed in optometry school.

is that true ?

Members don't see this ad.

While I can't speak for all schools, I know my school has a very wide variety of classes that we take the first two years that are much more than anatomy and physio. Those were also my strong points coming in... You will find that many of the basic sciences will be fairly "do-able" if you're good at the human sciences. Biochem was really the only one that directly pertained to organic, and Physio has a tendency to pull from chem (with things like gas laws etc). I won't lie though, there WILL be Optics. Geometrical Optics, Visual Optics, Physical Optics. And you will have Optics untill your third year. I know this is my weak point, so I just spend a little more time studying for these classes (I have SOME time to spare with my head start baseline of my human science classes). If I had it to do over I may have taken more Physics in undergrad. A strong math foundation wouldn't hurt either. :) Good luck!