Does paid internship look better than unpaid internship?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

paul2752

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do paid internships make your resume look better? If so, is it because they are more competitive and have more responsibilities? From what I read, everyone does unpaid internship because it's like volunteer.

Members don't see this ad.

What you do in that internship matters much more than the compensation. I don't think it's as easy as payment allows you more responsibility. I did far less in my paid internship than anything I did unpaid.

Look guys a premed posting on the wrong forum

Members don't see this ad :)
Do paid internships make your resume look better? If so, is it because they are more competitive and have more responsibilities? From what I read, everyone does unpaid internship because it's like volunteer.
You're in the wrong forum- if you're asking about internship in allo, we assume you mean postgraduate training. I'd request a mod move this, because this simply isn't the right place for meaningful answers to your question.

Last edited:
You're in the wrong forum- if you're asking about internship in allo, we assume you mean postgraduate training. I'd request a mood move this, because this simply isn't the right place for meaningful answers to your question.
I tried getting really angry over this mistake, but no matter how extreme my mood, it just didn't bump the thread into the right forum! :mad:

To OP: Which looks better, someone whose work was worth money to the company, or someone who was simply 'permitted' to work for them?

It's not fair; unpaid interns get the short end of both sticks, but así es la vida. If it's valuable experience and you can talk about what you learned from it, how it demonstrated an important quality of yours, or what meaningful contributions you made, it's worth including, and that part matters more than whether it was paid or unpaid. But in a magical fantasy land where all other things are equal, paid > unpaid.

Reactions: 1 users
I'd file working for free under 'charity'

Sorry if I chose a wrong term...then, what should I call it when I do it during undergraduate? I was talking about the internships that undergrads do (or are there a correct term for this?)

Anyway I know that it should NOT matter as long as I learned and become person from internships be it unpaid or paid. However my resumes and applications won't show such thing. That's why I asked

Edit: should have written "should NOT". sorry

Last edited:
Sorry if I chose a wrong term...then, what should I call it when I do it during undergraduate? I was talking about the internships that undergrads do (or are there a correct term for this?)

Anyway I know that it should NOT matter as long as I learned and become person from internships be it unpaid or paid. However my resumes and applications won't show such thing. That's why I asked

Edit: should have written "should NOT". sorry
You didn't choose the wrong term, it's still called an internship. You just posted this in the Medical Students > Allopathic forum instead of the Premed allopathic forum. But it's been moved to the correct place now so it's ok!

Thanks for moving to the correct forum. I wasn't aware ..

The notion of a paid internship is still a fairly new concept. No one is going to Dock you for taking an unpaid internship.

The notion of a paid internship is still a fairly new concept. No one is going to Dock you for taking an unpaid internship.

No, it's the other way around. You're supposed to be paid for your work as your time is presumably valuable and you do work that provides benefit to your employer. People have just figured out that the job market is bad enough and there are enough desperate college grads looking to break into a field that they can get away without paying people a fair wage.

Reactions: 1 users
OP - this isn't about what looks better on your resume. It is about food on your table and bed to sleep on. If you need it, then it is better.