Quantcast

Does participating in an overnight host stay with a medical student increase one's chances of acceptance into that school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

apismnfla1003

Reaction score
Does participating in an overnight host stay with a medical student increase one's chances of acceptance into that school? Virtually of course, in this academic cycle.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

Gwynbleidd

Reaction score
I have no answers but wtf is a virtual overnight host stay lol

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users

Deltasidearm

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does participating in an overnight host stay with a medical student increase one's chances of acceptance into that school?
No. It's just an opportunity for you to interact with a student.

Reactions: 4 users

chzsux

Reaction score
I feel like it might help in that you get opportunities to hear about little-known facts about the school that aren't on the website so in that sense it may help a little. IMO it really depends on what you get out of it

Reactions: 1 user

TelemarketingEnigma

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have no idea what a virtual host would be like but I used to host real live interviewees for my school. They did not ask us anything about the people we hosted, it was just a chance to have a free place to sleep and get to know some students/the area. The only times I heard of people reporting anything to the adcom was if the applicant did or said something really egregious. So just be a normal human!

Reactions: 1 users

LizzyM

the evil queen of numbers
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Adcom will never know unless you mention it to an interviewer and the interviewer thinks that it is relevant to mention to the entire adcom.

Reactions: 1 user

Matthew9Thirtyfive

kitty cat yin yang
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Volunteered to be a virtual host for about 8 or 9 students over the last couple interview cycles at my school. It was just so the applicants had a current student to talk to about the school. Unless someone said something absolutely egregious that I would feel warranted reporting to the admin committee, the hosting session had zero effect on their chances.

Reactions: 2 users

KnightDoc

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Volunteered to be a virtual host for about 8 or 9 students over the last couple interview cycles at my school. It was just so the applicants had a current student to talk to about the school. Unless someone said something absolutely egregious that I would feel warranted reporting to the admin committee, the hosting session had zero effect on their chances.
Did you report anyone? If so, can you give examples of what triggered the report?

TelemarketingEnigma

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Did you report anyone? If so, can you give examples of what triggered the report?
For irl hosting, I’ve never personally done it but have heard of it happening in situations where the interviewee was incredibly disrespectful to their hosts - coming back super late & sloppy drunk, insensitive comments, etc. my school is in a popular party city, but save it for spring break, not your interview. and like, probably don’t get sloppy drunk on zoom with your host lol

Reactions: 2 users