Does Pennsylvania have a real "state school"?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

reapplicanthelpme2014

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a resident and I'm not sure which PA school favors residents...I think TCMC does, but is that it??

Members don't see this ad.

No, PA does not have any official "state" schools in the classic sense. Some of the schools (e.g., PSU Hershey and Temple) are partially funded by the state, so they do have a slight preference but not as pronounced as in some other institutions across the country.

Reactions: 1 users
What Doctor Strange said. No state schools. Temple, PSU, and Pitt are "state-related" schools so we receive some funding from the state and there's a slight decrease in tuition for IS residents. I think Temple shows the most in-state bias out of those 3.

TCMC favors people from NE PA.

Members don't see this ad :)
MSAR describes every PA school as "private". You'd think that "U Penn", if anything, would be public, but noooooo!

However, there is some nuance.

There is no overt acceptance bias in matriculants among the schools, EXCEPT: Temple, which accepts more IS vs OOS, by ~13:8, while TCMC is more skewed: 3:1.

All except U Penn are more likely to interview PA residents from the applicant pool, and ISers are more likely to be accepted among interviewees than OOSers at all of them.

Moral of the story, if you live in PA, apply to PA schools!

What Doctor Strange said. No state schools. Temple, PSU, and Pitt are "state-related" schools so we receive some funding from the state and there's a slight decrease in tuition for IS residents. I think Temple shows the most in-state bias out of those 3.

TCMC favors people from NE PA.

Sucksssss
I understand your frustration. It is kinda like California; there is no "in-state" reference. And with the huge surplus amount of applicants, most OOS state applicants are from California. I mean they could build 5 more additional med school in Cali and still not remotely enough for Cali resident applicants.

I understand your frustration. It is kinda like California; there is no "in-state" reference. And with the huge surplus amount of applicants, most OOS state applicants are from California. I mean they could build 5 more additional med school in Cali and still not remotely enough for Cali resident applicants.
PA is much better than CA. IS PA applicants have a 32.5% chance at IS matriculation at schools with much more reachable median stats. CA has 15.3% IS matriculation at schools where the median is a 35 MCAT or greater at most of the non-mission based schools!

Last edited by a moderator: