Does pharmacology professor count as science faculty for letters of recommendat

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

belai8

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I know that pharmacology courses are listed as HEAL according to AMCAS' course classification. One of my pharmacology profs is writing me a positive reference letter as he knows me decently well and I've done great in his classes. I am well aware that most American med schools want at least 2 letters of recommendation from science faculty. Does my pharmacology professor count as that? Or do they only classify science faculty as those who teach BCPM?

I am hoping that it counts as one of my science letters as we learned a lot of bio and physiology (anatomy and physiology of all the organ systems in the human body, chemistry of drug-receptor interactions, bio-distrubution (ADME), etc...). At my school pharmacology is considered a basic medical science.

Any help would be MUCH appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

You should probably contact the schools that you are applying to and ask.

However, if I were to guess, I would say a letter counts as a science letter if AMCAS classifies it as a science class on your application.

Yes, I will be calling the schools tomorrow to ask about this directly. And yes, AMCAS does classify it has health SCIENCE... I'm just trying to cover all my bases. It would be a shame if it doesn't count as one of my letters of rec because I don't really have any other professors in science that I can ask.

Thanks!

Hi Everyone,

I know that pharmacology courses are listed as HEAL according to AMCAS' course classification. One of my pharmacology profs is writing me a positive reference letter as he knows me decently well and I've done great in his classes. I am well aware that most American med schools want at least 2 letters of recommendation from science faculty. Does my pharmacology professor count as that? Or do they only classify science faculty as those who teach BCPM?

I am hoping that it counts as one of my science letters as we learned a lot of bio and physiology (anatomy and physiology of all the organ systems in the human body, chemistry of drug-receptor interactions, bio-distrubution (ADME), etc...). At my school pharmacology is considered a basic medical science.

Any help would be MUCH appreciated!

Call and you will get the best answer.