Does post-bacc program consider student with a 2.6 GPA?

johnlin

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 10, 2002
Visit site
Status
Hi, everyone,

(1) My undergrad GPA is 2.6. I am looking for a post-bacc

program to improve my chance to getting into medical schools. I

know that most post-bacc programs only consider students with

a 3.0 GPA. Thus, I would like to know if there is a program, which

also consider students with a lower GPA.

(2) Besides post-bacc program and graduate school, is there

any other way to improve my AMCAS GPA?

Thanks !!!

TexasGuy41

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 15, 2002
Houston, TX
Status
Many schools allow you to take classes (science or anything else) as long as you have a degree from another US accredited college. So you don't have to do a "program", you can just sign up for classes and use those to boost your GPA, then if you kick butt in those maybe you can apply for a Physio program or something with your new grades. Good luck!

The Hulk

Official Green Monster
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 20, 2002
Cambridge, MA
Visit site
Status
Originally posted by TexasGuy41
Many schools allow you to take classes (science or anything else) as long as you have a degree from another US accredited college. So you don't have to do a "program", you can just sign up for classes and use those to boost your GPA, then if you kick butt in those maybe you can apply for a Physio program or something with your new grades. Good luck!
I agree. With a few major exceptions, every post-bac program I know of will allow you to take classes at their school. You may not be considered a full-time student even if you go full-time, and they may not be willing to give you a comp. rec. letter. but most are more than happy to enroll you (and take your money, of course;) )... don't stress out about the GPA, if you ace classes in the post-bac for a couple of years you will get in to med school.... good luck, and long live the post-bacs!:D

TH

tedstriker

wicked retahhded
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 31, 2002
Luv that dirty water
www.bostonbruins.com
Status
Harvard Extension school will take you, but you may have to take more credit$$ there (they base the number of Extension School credits required for completion of the program on undergraduate GPA; thus, to quote their website:
http://www.extension.harvard.edu/hcp/

You must "Complete a minimum number of units with grades of B or better in medical sciences courses at Harvard Extension School or Harvard Summer School. Those with undergraduate GPAs of 3.2 or higher must complete 20 such units; those with undergraduate GPAs between 3.0 and 3.2 must complete 24; those with undergraduate GPAs between 2.8 and 3.0 must complete 28; and those with undergraduate GPAs below 2.8 must complete 32. Those with undergraduate GPAs below 3.0 are unlikely to gain admission to medical school; they also must score 30 or higher on the MCAT to be sponsored.")

sdellenbaugh

15+ Year Member
Oct 17, 2002
Visit site
Status
Originally posted by johnlin
Hi, everyone,

(1) My undergrad GPA is 2.6. I am looking for a post-bacc program to improve my chance to getting into medical schools. I know that most post-bacc programs only consider students with
a 3.0 GPA. Thus, I would like to know if there is a program, which also consider students with a lower GPA.

Thanks !!!

I went through the Columbia Post-baccalaureate Premed. program (finished last May & applying now). I had a 2.87 undergrad GPA, and 4yrs of work time in the military (Army). They accepted me, but it took a little doing (ie going into the office and talking to the people in charge). You may have to push a little more than I did, but you should give the Columbia Program a chance.

Good Luck
Sam

lotanna

Child of God
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 16, 2002
Global nomad
Visit site
Status
Its doable, talkin from personal experience, try a post bacc program, take extra science classes, or even enroll in a masters program. Keep your options open and goodluck!!:)