Does post-bacc program consider student with a 2.6 GPA?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by johnlin, Oct 17, 2002.

1. johnlin

johnlin Junior Member

Hi, everyone,

(1) My undergrad GPA is 2.6. I am looking for a post-bacc

program to improve my chance to getting into medical schools. I

know that most post-bacc programs only consider students with

a 3.0 GPA. Thus, I would like to know if there is a program, which

also consider students with a lower GPA.

(2) Besides post-bacc program and graduate school, is there

any other way to improve my AMCAS GPA?

Thanks !!!

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. TexasGuy41

TexasGuy41 Senior Member

Many schools allow you to take classes (science or anything else) as long as you have a degree from another US accredited college. So you don't have to do a "program", you can just sign up for classes and use those to boost your GPA, then if you kick butt in those maybe you can apply for a Physio program or something with your new grades. Good luck!

4. The Hulk

The Hulk Official Green Monster

I agree. With a few major exceptions, every post-bac program I know of will allow you to take classes at their school. You may not be considered a full-time student even if you go full-time, and they may not be willing to give you a comp. rec. letter. but most are more than happy to enroll you (and take your money, of course;) )... don't stress out about the GPA, if you ace classes in the post-bac for a couple of years you will get in to med school.... good luck, and long live the post-bacs!:D

TH

5. tedstriker

tedstriker wicked retahhded

Harvard Extension school will take you, but you may have to take more credit$$ there (they base the number of Extension School credits required for completion of the program on undergraduate GPA; thus, to quote their website:
    http://www.extension.harvard.edu/hcp/

You must "Complete a minimum number of units with grades of B or better in medical sciences courses at Harvard Extension School or Harvard Summer School. Those with undergraduate GPAs of 3.2 or higher must complete 20 such units; those with undergraduate GPAs between 3.0 and 3.2 must complete 24; those with undergraduate GPAs between 2.8 and 3.0 must complete 28; and those with undergraduate GPAs below 2.8 must complete 32. Those with undergraduate GPAs below 3.0 are unlikely to gain admission to medical school; they also must score 30 or higher on the MCAT to be sponsored.")

6. sdellenbaugh

sdellenbaugh New Member

I went through the Columbia Post-baccalaureate Premed. program (finished last May & applying now). I had a 2.87 undergrad GPA, and 4yrs of work time in the military (Army). They accepted me, but it took a little doing (ie going into the office and talking to the people in charge). You may have to push a little more than I did, but you should give the Columbia Program a chance.

Good Luck
    Sam

7. johnlin

johnlin Junior Member

Thanks everyone! Thank you for your help!

8. gooloogooloo

gooloogooloo Senior Member

........ speechless

9. lotanna

lotanna Child of God

Its doable, talkin from personal experience, try a post bacc program, take extra science classes, or even enroll in a masters program. Keep your options open and goodluck!!:)