Does pratice test aamc have more organic chemistry than recent MCAT's?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Smithy007

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently took aamc test 7 and the organic chemistry killed me. Iv heard that the MCAT does not require as much organic chemistry as it used to so I did not look over the organic chemistry very intensity. Is it true the newer MCATs have less organic chemistry or was I mistaken? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I recently took aamc test 7 and the organic chemistry killed me. Iv heard that the MCAT does not require as much organic chemistry as it used to so I did not look over the organic chemistry very intensity. Is it true the newer MCATs have less organic chemistry or was I mistaken? Thanks

I only had 1 orgo passage on my MCAT last summer. I think a 2 day crash course of EK Orgo + TPRHL orgo passages (around 45 of them) is sufficient in terms of orgo prep. Concentrate the vast majority of your time elsewhere.

You should review orgo like other subjects because I did the same mistake last year as people said there would be no a lot of orgo on mcat. And guess what?.. i had about 3 passages or orgo on my exam and they were 10x harder then the practice AAMCs. So concentrate on orgo also because you don't want to mess up on organic and re-take the exam

I had two orgo passages and a couple of discretes that were harder than the AAMC practice tests (at least the ones I took)... Ignoring orgo is a big gamble. I would not do it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I only had 1 orgo passage on my MCAT last summer. I think a 2 day crash course of EK Orgo + TPRHL orgo passages (around 45 of them) is sufficient in terms of orgo prep. Concentrate the vast majority of your time elsewhere.

It's pretty irresponsible to tell someone else that they don't need to worry about orgo because you got lucky and had an exam without too much of it. I had multiple orgo passages and discretes.

OP, the BS section will never be majority orgo, but there can often be enough for it to kill your score if you aren't prepared.

It's pretty irresponsible to tell someone else that they don't need to worry about orgo because you got lucky and had an exam without too much of it. I had multiple orgo passages and discretes.

OP, the BS section will never be majority orgo, but there can often be enough for it to kill your score if you aren't prepared.

I pretty much ignored Ochem last year because I was listening to some misinformed people on SDN ( I also hate Ochem)...Big mistake! Got a 9 in BS....Thanks God it did not matter anyway since I had a dismal score in VR. I am retaking....

Even if there is more orgo, that is not a bad thing. Personally, and I think the vast majority of SDNers would agree with me, I would rather do orgo passages than experimental bio passages taken straight out of the discussion section of journal articles. When I originally answered the question, I was under the impression that the OP's MCAT is coming up soon and was simply asking if orgo is heavily tested. My advice was basically "the majority of your time should be spent on the other topics." I never told him to disregard orgo; in fact, I recommended EK orgo with 45 TPRHL orgo passages. I don't see how that is being irresponsible.

This seems to be the common wisdom among a lot of premeds. It is incorrect. For some reason, a lot of people seem to think that the MCAT doesn't really test organic chemistry all that much. There are scores of students that thought organic wasn't necessary for the real thing and they all lived to regret it. Don't think you can skip that material and still have a good chance at doing well.