Does Pre-Meds need Lab Coats?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ATB Pre Med

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Why would a Pre-Med need to own a lab coat? Is one needed? If so, why?

Members don't see this ad.

I was required to wear a lab coat in chemistry lab.

But aside from a laboratory setting, never needed to use one.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you inclined to spill stuff all over yourself?

I've taken lots of chem, bio, biochem labs and only 1-2% of the students wear a lab coat.

They weren't particularly disposed to soiling their clothes, they were just blow-hards.

Don't want wear a labcoat. It's an ugly trait among undergrads that compels your labmates to spit in your petri dish.

The cardinal sin is wearing a labcoat with your name embroidered over your breast pocket :eek:

Are you inclined to spill stuff all over yourself?

I've taken lots of chem, bio, biochem labs and only 1-2% of the students wear a lab coat.

They weren't particularly disposed to soiling their clothes, they were just blow-hards.

Don't want wear a labcoat. It's an ugly trait among undergrads that compels your labmates to spit in your petri dish.

The cardinal sin is wearing a labcoat with your name embroidered over your left breast pocket :eek:

Lol, I am a bit clumsy...:laugh:

But no, actually it was a university requirement. They wouldn't let us participate in lab without one. Also we had to wear closed-toed shoes and goggles. For liability reasons.

we had closed toe shoes and goggles rules but no lab coat- so no I haven't needed one

Never had to wear a lab coat until I interviewed my first patient in med school. Our chem and o-chem classes didn't require it. Besides, lab coats are fugly looking.....

We had badass black pleather aprons to wear over our clothes in chem lab. You may need a labcoat for working in a lab, but don't wear a white coat shadowing. You aren't even close to being a clinician yet, so don't represent yourself as one.

My analytical chem professor wouldn't even let us step FOOT in the lab without our goggles and coat on. Guess he was worried we were gonna spill 10% bicarbonate solution on ourselves... /sigh :confused:

Members don't see this ad :)
I still don't understand why premeds would wear a white coat for shadowing, nor why an attending would request that one does.

I've never heard of an attending that would ask a premed to wear a white coat while they shadow

I worked in a lab for several years and only wore my lab coat on certain occasions - when doing tissue culture, working under the fume hood, handling live virus/bacteria, or working with radioactive materials like P-32. We all had unisex coats that were oversized and had embroidered patches with our last names on them, which were reminiscent of gas station attendants or mechanics. Needless to say, we rarely wore them unless it was mandated for a certain procedure, or wanted an extra barrier of protection from nastiness.

shadowing

NO!

When you shadow, you should dress professionally, and thats it.

You should not wear a lab coat while shadowing. Depending on if the lab coat length is at the waist, above the knee, or below the knee, you are identifying yourself as a med student, resident, or attending physician.

If your school requires a lab coat for chem lab, they should provide it. And you shouldn't schlep that radioactive, toxic thing around with you.

Not an attending, but a hospital administrator in this example.

If a hospital administrator told me I had the option of wearing a lab coat while I shadow I would choose to dress professionally and avoid taking on the appearance of a tool.

If a hospital administrator told me I had the option of wearing a lab coat while I shadow I would choose to dress professionally and avoid taking on the appearance of a tool.

As any self-respecting person would.

i own a lab coat. i needed it for microbio and dissection. oddly, didn't need it for any lab in chemistry (though some people opted to wear them).

I've never heard of an attending that would ask a premed to wear a white coat while they shadow

Mine did. It was a requirement for all shadows at this particular practice.

My chem lab course required us to wear disposables they had set aside, with usual no open toe shoes, no bare mid-riff, no loose hair type rules. The other labs I took were a little less concerned.

The real biochem lab I worked at for two years on the other hand; sandals, shorts, and a t-shirt. There were lab coats hanging up, but no one wore them. I even had to wear face shields and them things that cover your mouth/nose when doing certain experiments, but never a lab coat.

I agree that it is extremely unlikely that you will be asked to wear a white coat. However, one case where I did wear a white coat was because it was hospital policy. The big difference, though, was that none of the attendings wore the white coat where I was shadowing, they all wore scrubs. The only people who wore the white coats were volunteers, people shadowing, and techs. I think it is highly unlikely that you will need to wear a white coat, and if you have an option do NOT wear it.

Here, a labcoat is a requirement for all labs, and also a requirement for shadowing in any of the hospitals. I'd just buy one anyway, they aren't that expensive. :)

Hmm, I guess it does vary depending on university. Ours was really strict, perhaps because we had some "incidents" (or so they told us). One TA related the story of a female chem student who was wearing a low-cut shirt and managed to spill 10M HCl on her um, decolletage.

I wish we got badass pleather aprons...

I was required to wear one for gen chem, orgo, and microbio labs, but I wouldnt recommend wearing one outside of that, and being "that kid" who wears his lab coat around campus. Unless you like people making fun of you behind your back. Don't buy one from your school store, it's a ripoff. Scrub shops, yo.

I needed my own lab coat for microbiology lab and microbial physiology and genetics lab.

This seems to be a case by case thing. I took a basic Bio at a community collee and they were required for all sessions, but I now attend a university and nobody has even mentioned a lab coat.

When I shadowed, I was asked to wear one by the attending. He didn't make it sound like I had an option, either.

edit: Oh, and he introduced me to patients as Dr. ______. I dunno why he couldn't have just said this is a student, as it was a major teaching hospital.

I was only asked to wear one when I shadowed in the ER. It makes the already, highly stressed ER patients more comfortable thinking you're a doctor or med student when you're in the room haha.

Other than that, you look like an idiot as a pre-med wearing a white coat. The pre-meds who come to class or to voluneer in the hospital/clinic always get laughed at. You don't want to identify yourself as one of those haha

Lab coats are very warm. I would recommend wearing one all the time. Not because you're pre-med, but because they're just nice and warm.

Also, scrubs are very comfortable underneath a lab coat, and you want to be comfortable, so you should definitely think about investing in 6-7 sets.

Yup, scrubs and a lab coat. Warmth and comfort. Wear it every day.

i had to wear one whenever i am doing bench work in all of my research jobs. and for one of the research, it was a clinical trial and i shadowed the doctor who was also the principal investigator, i had to wear a lab coat when he meet with patients, coz i also drew blood and did some other stuff. but i don't think you need a lab coat if you are only shadowing.

Lab coats are very warm. I would recommend wearing one all the time. Not because you're pre-med, but because they're just nice and warm.

Also, scrubs are very comfortable underneath a lab coat, and you want to be comfortable, so you should definitely think about investing in 6-7 sets.

Yup, scrubs and a lab coat. Warmth and comfort. Wear it every day.
unless you're going to tell them how to deal with pee on their scrubs, don't tell them to do that.

We were required to wear a lab coat for ochem lab and microbiology lab.

i sometimes put on a lab coat and just walk around in the hospital, to experience what being a doctor is like

i sometimes put on a lab coat and just walk around in the hospital, to experience what being a doctor is like

You have to write orders in a few patients' charts to get the full experience.

Lab coats are also a source of boasting.

So why not? :rolleyes:

Hilarious. So the med students and physicians either say no or make fun of the idea, and the premees give stories about their schools and justifications. Priceless.

Why yes! You MUST wear a lab coat to all of your lectures so others know that you are indeed pre-med. Watch as all of your friends bow down to your glory! Professors tremble with fear as well.

I had to wear a lab coat when I shadowed at hospitals. Both were teaching hospitals, and they wanted me to look like a med student. It had to be hip length.

So, without being snarky, what I've gathered is it's not a bad idea to own one, but it's not necessary.

Some programs/hospitals require or recommend you wear one, but not all.

What I learned from shadowing: Get over what is said on here and do what you're told by the person you're shadowing.

My school had a program that went through the area hospitals and we were required to purchase and wear a lab coat for all shadowing experiences (except OR).

At the time, I didn't think it was that big of a deal, but I realize now that it probably looked pretty weird. Especially since we all bought long ones...:rolleyes:

I still don't understand why premeds would wear a white coat for shadowing, nor why an attending would request that one does.
Really? Are you sure you wouldn't do it? Ever? Not even as a joke?

Why yes! You MUST wear a lab coat to all of your lectures so others know that you are indeed pre-med. Watch as all of your friends bow down to your glory! Professors tremble with fear as well.

Most definitely